1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 string bass advantages

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Oct 22, 2005.

1. 6 string bass advantages....disadvantages...What are they? I have been wanting a Spector 5 string neck-thru bass, but recently on my 4-string Jazz I have started to use the upper registers and can only wish for a bass with more high registers. My question is....stick with getting the 5er or go 6 and get those extra uppers on my Spector Euro? Help! :help:

2. Its different for everyone. I there are a few reasons I like it. I like going across the strings instead of going up the neck to reach notes.. I like being able to slap octave stuff from the D string with the octave up on the C string. I like to play melodies sometimes in the upper register in an octave you cant do on a 4 string. Plus it opens the possibility for more chordal stuff.

Disadvantages. The only two I can think of are wider neck and more expensive for a set of strings and limited selection (atleast if you buy strings locally). Unfortunatly, my local music stores have reduced their stock of 6 string sets so I either have to order or pay an arm and a leg for a set.

To be honest, I kind of fell into playing 6 string. I have a Modulus Q6 that I kinda just fell into. I wasnt particularly looking for a 6 but ended up with one. In hindsight, I wouldnt mind playing a 5 string with a high C instead of a low B.

If you feel as if you would need a higher register than a jazz bass, then I dont see why not go with a 6er. Actually, for some reason, I found it easier going from a 4 to a 6er than 4 to a 5 (dunno why).

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, I like having the high C for chording and stuff. I seldom go below a Low B, so a five string with a high C and a Hipshot Xtender is quite ideal for me, but I can't get used to an odd number of strings. I love sixers, even though the B doesn't get much use.

4. Maybe the odd number of strings is my issue too.. It just doesnt seem "uniform" to me.. But I have more problem playing a 5 with a low B then I do with a high C

5. Thats what i was going to suggest

I hardly use my 6 string for the fact its a 6 string, i got it cus it was cheaper than the 4 string equivilant where i was looking, and hell, people seem to think you must be good if you've got 6 strings ;)

6. There are more advantages than disadvantages. I have 4string Jazz Bass, 5string G&L L2500 and 6string Cort Artisan. I percieve this problem in this way: For mostly groove playing like funk, R'N'B, pop I use 4 and 5 string depending on tone demands, but 6 string is my favorite when musicality is needed, chords, melody etc...
    If you can afford only one bass, go for 6string, because with it you can ALMOST play anything. With 4 and 5str bass you can't play chords and melodies as good as with 6. But my general rule is: LESS STRING = BETTER AND MORE FOCUSED GROOVE.;)

All the best!

7. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    size vs more possibilities.

I really liked the tonal variations on my 6 string - and chords do sound great with that C string. But I`ve pretty much went back to 4 strings due to size and comfort issues. While I can and did gig a lot with a 6 string, I just feel much more comfy with an 4 stringer.

I will buy an active 5 stringer in some not to distant future, but I doubt I`ll return to 6 strings anytime soon.

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I was stuck on this point for a while before I ordered my 6. I knew I would use the low B of a 5, but I didn't want to regret not having the high C down the road. When I received the bass, I couldn't stop playing the B or the C.

As bobbykokinos said, the wider neck could pose a problem. That is unless you have unsually long fingers like me. :) I find the neck on my 6 to be the most comfortable neck I have played.

9. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I was faced with this same decision late last spring, I chose 6 and for me, it was the best decision. I find going back to my 4 to be limiting, same when I play the fretless 5 I recently bought. The 6 is easily my favorite and most comfortable instrument to play of the 3. And I played 4 string on and off for 25 years before buying the 6. ;)

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Other than not moving hand up and down neck, to get to notes.
    And extended range.
    4-5-6-7-8-9-strings, ext. is just a preference?
    I own 4,5,6, string basses.
    I play the 4,and 5 strings the most, the sixer if I'am in small groups. Tend to use B and C more then.

11. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    hmm, well, the advantages of a 6 string are:

You can play alot more notes
    low B is fun to slap and play metal riffs on
    High C is good for chords, picking, slapping, and soloing on
    usually have longer scales
    Might have more frets (most of the 6 stringers I've seen have had 24+ frets).

Disadvantages:

Neck may not be wide enough (string spacing is tighter so it's harder to slap on, but once you get used to it, and slap on a 4, it's like you have an ocean of room)
    not as many companies make them.

It took me a little over 2 months to find the 6 string I wanted, but if it was a 4, it would have taken much longer.

I love my 6 string, and I don't think I'll ever turn to a 5, because with a 6, you can do so much more than with a 5, but 4's are just plain clasic.

Greg

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    And the #1 reason to gow ith a six string is:

Chicks dig it :)

NigelD likes this.
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'll mention the same stuff as everybody else.

Disadvantages - massive neck and lots of strings takes some getting used to. I find for just jamming a blues groove that lately I really love my ol' 4 string.

Advantages - more notes, easier to hit upper registers easily and quickly. Chordal playing is greatly enhanced.

For me another big advantage is fretless intonation on higher notes. My fretless intonation gets a bit dodgy up near fret 10 or so, and since I'm just a hobbyist that's not likely to change. My six string fretless allows me to play higher notes with decent intonation than I could with my 5 string fretless.

Also, it intimidates people. You can use it as a weapon. :)

14. NewAndImprov

NewAndImprov

Oct 17, 2005
    I've played 6-string exclusively for over 10 years now, both at thousands of gigs and studio sessions. To me, it's just a different instrument from a 4 or 5, I don't understand you guys who can switch back and forth between all of them, must be way more talented than me :).

The main advantage to me is not the extended range, it's from having more notes under one hand position. It's really cool to be able to play a 16th note funk line on the lower strings, and then drop in a 2-note chord voicing on the C&G strings. I do love being able to double horn or guitar melodies in the top octave, my bass (Ibanez 1306 w/EMG's) has a really sweet tone in that range.

Disadvantages: I find it hard to slap on my bass. Given that it's not a sound I like anyway, I pretty much just don't do it any more anyway. To me, 16th note fingerstyle ala Rocco Prestia is way funkier anyway.

It also took me a few years of solid playing to really get comfortable with the neck. I noticed that if I depended on looking at the neck, I'd tend to hit the wrong string, but if I learned to trust my fingers, they'd go to the right place.

Muting is also an issue on 6-strings. Also, you can't walk into any music store in the middle of nowhere and buy a set of strings. I get mine through mail order anyway (Thomastik Jazz Flats), and keep an extra set with me all the time.

Now, if I switch back to a 4 or 5, I just feel lost.

15. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Advantages? Two words: CHORDAL PLAYING!! :D

16. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I adapted to the 6 so easily that it has become my primary playing bass, regardless of whether I "need" the strings or not. It is extremely comfortable to me, but in fairness I do have larger hands and feel no discomfort with the broader stretch to cover the neck.

I do have two 4's (fretted and fretless) and a fretted 7, but this fretless 6 is the best bass I have ever owned, period. As others have said, strings are more expensive and somewhat less available .... and you'll still run into a ton of purists that believe anything more than a 4 is a crime :rollno:

17. http://www.bobbykokinos.com/6slap1.mp3

No trying to show off (because god knows this clip is sloppy), but this is an example of what you can do on a 6 string. In this groove, I use all 6 strings.. You can hear the chord and then I go to the low B for a couple notes. And most all of it is done in one position with minimal hand movement. This same groove on a 4 string would require you to jump 6 frets up the neck to catch the chord. On the 6 string, I just move down one string..

Sometimes its better to hear the advantages then have someone tell you..

18. Why do threads always die after I post?? :D

19. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005

Don't worry it's not you.
    It's just that this topic has been done to death.

20. So I figured. Sometimes when I post I feel like that guy that walks into the room and farts and everyone clears out. :D