1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6-string bass body and neck??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by stix_clgi, Sep 26, 2013.

1. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    What's up TB!

Not sure if I'm asking this question in the right place or not, but I was wondering: Are there any manufactures or local luthiers who will build and finish (gloss/satin, no paint) bass guitar bodies and necks?

The reason I ask is because I have a few sets of pickups w/tone pots that I'd like to use. I've tried selling them, but being that the demand for six string bass accessories is not as high as the 4/5 string counterparts, selling them has been a chore. So I've decided to install them in a bass to keep for myself. The pickups I have are a set of Bartonlini XXM56CB pups and a set of EMG 45TW's

The problem: I don't want to buy a "cheap" bass to mod...i.e Brice bass or other non-descript. eBay bass guitar. The only company I know that offers what I'm looking for is Warmoth, and they don't make necks the way I'd like.

Price isn't such a big deal, I'm not trying to get some super fabulous "custom" body/neck for $800 lol! I would try to build one myself...okay, no I wouldn't, I don't even have a clue where to start;)

The only other thing I figured was to contact one of the other well known luthiers and have them build a bass guitar for me (probably the best solution huh?) Anyways, forgive me if this has been asked a million times, I've visited this forum maybe 3 times in my TB membership, and thanks in advance for your answers/advice!

God bless,
    Stix

2. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    PM sent...

3. JAdamCotterBass

JAdamCotterBass Banned

Sep 29, 2013
    Yea, i'm looking for a neck too. did you find one? I tried those emg's you have, didn't care for them, the Barts will be better. IMHO.

4. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD

Not yet, the only company I found is Warmoth, but their necks are made to fit their Gecko basses.

I didn't mind the EMGs when I had them in my Spector...the right preamp makes a big difference, IMO. They sound great in the Euro Spectors.

5. drdog

drdog

Apr 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I might be interested in your 6 string pickups....I have a 6 string that I am not happy with and am considering changing out the pups....so...
    What manufacturer and model number of pickups do you have, and how many do you have?
    If the manufacturer is unknown, then what is the dimensions of the pickups?

6. JAdamCotterBass

JAdamCotterBass Banned

Sep 29, 2013
    the Gecko necks are not wide enough for me, but they look really nice. I'm just going to go from scratch!

Good point on the preamp with those emg's, i had the cruddy 3 band one that has the wrong tone profile, the one with adjustable range would probably sound great.

7. JAdamCotterBass

JAdamCotterBass Banned

Sep 29, 2013
    Ebay has emg 45 soapbars all the time. Sizes are on the website.