6 string bass, but the budget?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x4x, Nov 10, 2003.

1. x4x

May 10, 2003

I'm planning on buying a second bass next summer. I wanted to expand my bass horizons and was thinking of a 6 string. BUT since i won't have a huge budget, i can't afford the 'average' 6string. Lets say that i'll have a 1000$ budget. You can get a 'average' 4 string for that. But can you get a 'average' 6 string (even fretless) for the same price? Or will the quality be lower? Any suggestions of models or brands? (keep in mind that i live in Europe)

Thank you
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Buy used, e.g. lower-range Warwick 6
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Where in Europe? In the area I'm most familiar with (London, UK) I'm sure you could find something suitable within your budget.

Also, looking online at GAK (based near Brighton on the South Coast of England - never dealt with them so this isn't a recommendation but they do have prices on their site), you could get a Washburn XB-600 for £479. That was what I used for my first six string - I found the string spacing a bit narrow (although it works very well now I've had it defretted) but it has been a pretty good tool... so there are decent options in your price range.

Where are you based - that way someone might be able to suggest a good location for trying things out.

4. x4x

May 10, 2003
    I live in Belgium. By saying i lived in Europe, i mean export/import might be a problem when it comes to 'custom' basses from the USA, i guess UK shouldn't be a problem, i can even take a train or plain for little money.