Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string bass, Carvin pickups for neck and bridge

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by patrickj, Feb 16, 2003.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm planning on installing Carvin pickups for my next bass (6 string). I would like to put a H50N humbucker in the bridge position, and a J99 in the neck. The J99 has an option for reverse winding to cancel hum - I'm assuming this is used in conjunction with another J99 pickup.

Would there be any hum/grounding/etc problems using these two pickups in this manner? H50N + normal wound J99?

If i substitute the H50N bridge pickup for a J99 (2 single coil pickups), would I need the 'reverse' wound version, and where would it go (neck/bridge)?

thanks..

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    First off, I'm not sure Carvin pups are going to be the best thing for a sixer. I have a set on a DeArmond five string and they sound great, but I got them from a guy who took them off his Carvin sixer because he didn't think the magnet or magnetic field was really wide enough. They handle five strings fine.

This guy replaced his pups with Bill Lawrence J-45's (hope I got that number right) and said it was a vast improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I think Carvin pups are OK, but it may be a stretch to use them on a six.

3. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Now for a possible answer to your original question. If you use two J-99's, yes, one should be reverse wound so that when the pickups are at the same volume, they hum-cancel. However, if you use one H50N, it doesn't matter which way the J99 is wound, because the H50N is, itself a humbucker. Turning the H50N up and down won't affect any hum generated by the J99. However, the output of the J99 and H50N is different, so you might want to use one or the other instead of a combination. I think the J99 is internally shielded, so it doesn't have as much of a hum issue as some single coils would.

4. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks!

My string spacing will be narrow enough (~ 3.1" overall) that it should fit, with about .05" to spare on either side. John Myung style :D

I'm looking at the EMG-Hz pickups at Stewmac also, the DC-45 (whateva) will def. work, but 1) I've never heard them before, and 2) they're housing is big. (of course, I could always make a new housing for it...)

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    IMHO:

Don't even think of using Carvin's J-style pickups in a 6 string bass!! I pulled a pair out of my Carvin LB76 because they just didn't have a magnetic field wide enough to cover all 6 strings. (These are the pups I sold to Flatwound.)

Try the Bill Lawrence J-45. 3.1" is about as wide as they will go. They work great in my LB76.

6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, chucko's "the guy" I mentioned. And chucko, I'm diggin' those pups. Thanks.

7. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Chucko is absolutely right. I replaced the stock Carvin pickups in my LB76 not because the didn't have a great sound, but because the magnetic field / pickup pattern is not wide enough for a 6 string. The low B string ends up vibrating outside of the pickup pattern and sounding VERY weak. They are a great qualityand sounding pickup and are GREAT for a 4 or a 5 string, but they just won't cut it on a 6'er. The same is true for most J-style pickups with the exception of the Bill Lawrence, on which the pickup pattern is just wide enough for a 6.

Regards,