6 String Bass Dilema:P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_player16, May 18, 2005.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get a 6 string sometime really soon, hopefully within the month. My question, if there are any owners of Ibanez SR506's and Yamaha RBXJM2, What do you think of them, playability(neck width mostly), tonal properties, and of course PRICE. Those 2 basses are the ones I'm most interested in. So any and all feedback is much appreciated

Thanks all
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Two totally different price ranges, man. The JM sig is over $1000 while the Ibanez can be had for about half that.

I've played the SR506 at a music store. As far as entry level 6-strings go, it's a fine bass. The neck is quite comfy, though a tad wide for my tastes (width: 2.125" at nut, 3.25" at heel.) The tone has a nice dark growlyness to it due to the mahogany body and wenge/bubinga neck.

In contrast, Yamaha's JM sig has a 2.00" nut width and a 3.25" heel width. I've not played one, though. It uses traditional tonewoods (alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard.) Yamaha 6ers also come with dual truss rods.

If you want something a tad brighter than the SR506, then definitely check out the Peavey Fury 6-string. It has an alder body, maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard. The neck is slim and fast. Dimensions are similar to the Ibanez. The bass has a 3-band active EQ so one can get a plethora of sounds from it. It feels, looks, and sounds like a more expensive bass.

The narrowest 6-string neck I'm aware of is on the Samick Fairlane 6. 2.00" wide at nut, 3.1" wide at heel. Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Tonewise, it gets standard fare bread-and-butter tones. Oh, and it has dual truss rods.
  3. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Of the two, I'd take the Yamaha. I'm really comfortable on those necks. I've had both basses your asking about through my store at one point or another and the SR stuff has just never done it for me.