6 String Bass for Classical Tapping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zinnwick, Jul 26, 2013.

1. zinnwick

zinnwick

Jul 26, 2013
    Hudson Florida
    I really love piano solo music (I do my homework to Debussy and Chopin) and I have waited to too long to learn how to play piano. The other day I was considering buying a six string bass, tuning it to EADGCF (the B string is too muddy for tapping imo) and trying to play some easier classical stuff on it, just to see where it went.

The question, of course, is which one do I get that is cost effective, has narrow neck/string spacing, taps well and produces a bright tone?

schecter_stiletto_studio6.700.png

After reading some previous threads I have a Peavy Grind, Cort Curbow, 2 Schector Stilettos, and Ibanez SR256 watched on my Ebay.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

2. FineCatsNCigars

FineCatsNCigars

Jul 25, 2013
    For narrow thing spacing and something cost effective, there is this.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/revsharp777/squier 6/squier006.jpg

This is a $300 Squier Jazz V that was converted into a 6 string bass guitar with about $100 worth of materials it looks like

If you are into something a bit more expensive, this may suit you quite well. The Ibanez gvvb36, which is a 6 string bass with 14mm string spacing. It is just about as narrow as you can go. It goes for about $1000, however you could easily get a used one for much less.

There are the many Ibanez 6 string basses that range from $300 to $1400, so there's lots of options for different ranges of quality there.

The Warwick Rockbass is out of this world too, and the 6 string sells for around $500 - $800.

I hope I helped!

3. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    If you just want to do tapping, get a Chapman Stick, they are fantastic instruments.
    http://www.stick.com/

4. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Exactly my thought as well, if you are new to bass then I would suggest skipping it completely (really!) and getting a Stick. They are awesome instruments, but they require the same learning curve a bass will. I honestly think the Stick might be the way to go for you, considering you want to cross over from piano.

5. zinnwick

zinnwick

Jul 26, 2013
    Hudson Florida
    Jim777,

Sorry if I wasn't articulating myself: I have been playing bass for 9 years and it is too late for me to learn piano even though I would like to.

6. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    As a Stick player since 1990, my vote naturally goes for the Stick too.
    Stick Enterprises have just released a new model: the Railboard.
    It is priced lower then the wooden Sticks (it's in aluminum) and Emmet Chapman says he obtains the lowest action ever possible on it.
    Go to stick.com, watch the video and get hooked :hyper:

P.S. too late to learn the piano? Not true, it is never too late to learn (maybe being a professional touring pianist would be a bit far fetched, but getting to be good... no way it's too late).
    Same goes for the Stick of course: I had been playing bass for quite a while before I got the Stick.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I could suggest a Conklin Groovetools GT7.

732_img_8484.jpg

This way, you have a bass guitar tuned BEADGCF. When it comes to the Low B : Try a thicker string gauge, maybe a .140 will do it for you, or look at some Pressure Wound strings. Send Jason from Bass Strings Online an email, he can help you out for sure! :) (his nickname here on TB is SlapInFunk)

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Another vote here for a Stick. :cool:

9. zinnwick

zinnwick

Jul 26, 2013
    Hudson Florida
    I have been checking out the sticks and I really like the 8 strings that have the more sensible tuning patterns. The only thing is they are really expensive, over 2 grand for one.

They sound really nice though, thanks guys

10. The Chapman NS Stick is a great instrument. And it uses a low B string and it sounds like thunder when tapped. 8 strings tuned in fourths all the way across the board in standard tuning, or you can get it set up with various other tunings. Incredible well made instruments. A bit pricey but if you really want to tap the Stick is a great way to go. Check out Don Schiff on you tube. He plays a half fretless version also.

11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Uhm... Chapman Stick.

12. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    The stick is certainly superior for touchstyle since it is designed to be tapped. There are also other manufacturers too. I might look @ Krappyguitars.com if I weren't sure I wanted to spend that kind of cheddar right off the bat. Krappy makes a lot of funny guitars but Kevin also makes very nice touch guitars.

If you go the route of a bass, plan to have it set up by someone that really knows their stuff. Low action is a must, a very flat fretboard is helpful, you might try light strings and play with just enough force to make the note. Speed is key over power in tapping.

GL with whatever you find.

Ps. My B string works just fine for touch style :)

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021