Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string bass glory

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by god of bass, Feb 4, 2005.

1. god of bass

god of bass

Jan 28, 2005
    Hi, does anyone here own a 6 string bass? I'm just curious. If so, what tuning do you use?

2. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    CGDAEB

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I also use standard tuning on my 6. BEADGC lowest to highest.

There may be some 6-stringers who tune EADGCF or even F#BEADG or drop-tunings such as drop-A, but I use standard tuning on mine.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    EADGBE

5. Here at TB , a 6 string bass isn't anything special. There are many people who play 6 + basses

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    BEADGC here as well, which is 'the norm'. I currently have only one sixer, but I'll have more before too long =0)

7. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    I use to use guitar tuning as well, just went to BEADGB as I discovered a .135 or .145 can make a 34" scale low B work, the .128 I had used before was terrible.

Tuning in fourths makes sense if you are a bassist only, I play guitar 80% of the time and already learned all the chords dealing with the guitar's 3rd interval so I might as well use it.

8. Yeah I've heard of lot's of people here on the board tuning their bass to EADGBE...Im not a guitar player so it wouldn't make sense to me, but my current sixer is tuned in fourths...So I get BEADGC, I should really experiment with different tunings...Is it really that different playing in guitar tuning?

9. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    BEADGC

10. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    i own a 7 and i tune it BEADGCF....:)

11. Try EADGCF to start out with. Then go to EBDAC#E then DADF#C#E. :)

12. Try not to think of any altered tuning as "different". Think of it as a new way of unlocking your ears and fingers from the barriers of YEARS of playing in a standard tuning. Works for me..... :)

QUOTE=Fret-less Six]Yeah I've heard of lot's of people here on the board tuning their bass to EADGBE...Im not a guitar player so it wouldn't make sense to me, but my current sixer is tuned in fourths...So I get BEADGC, I should really experiment with different tunings...Is it really that different playing in guitar tuning?[/QUOTE]

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I can't play..

:bawl:

14. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Mark, shame on you :cool: tell us about your EIGHT/NINE STRING BASSES :smug:

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Cirrus six is tuned ADGCFBb.

My Ibanez six is tuned BEADGC.

16. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    both of mine are B-C
    i prefer standard tuning b/c i dont have a guitar background and i do a lot of reading, so changing things up would confuse the heck out of me when sight reading and i dont need any help being bad at my reading!

17. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, I read about 50% of the time, so the B-C tuning is best for me too .....

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My fretless BEADGC
    Fretted EADGBE

19. BEADGB#
    :bag:

20. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA