1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string bass help needed!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by K.C HADE, Oct 12, 2006.

1. K.C HADE

K.C HADE

Oct 12, 2006
    Hey guys and gals I just ordered a new Spector 6 string bass and I want to tune it like a guitar is normally tune E,A,D,G,B,E can some one please tell me what guage of string I should use especially for the B and high E. Thanx

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I think this would be better in the strings forum, but I don't see why you can't use a regular set of 6-string strings.

-Mark

3. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I would go with an extra-light 6-string set.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    would that even work... 6 string sets are meant to be tuned BEADGC and tuning it up 5 semitones (even with light guages) is quite mad.

for the high B/E i believe you might need to get custom sets. you could use a C string as your B, but i wouldnt tune that same string up to E.

5. K.C HADE

K.C HADE

Oct 12, 2006

I ordered a 18 plain for the high E and a 35 for the B as for the E A D G I think i will just use a regular set of 105's do you think those will work?

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    sounds ballpark. you might want to wait for someone more knowledgeable, i play BEADGC exclusively.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    .018-.022 for the E/F, .025-.032 for the B/C is a good place to start.

I do the same thing with one of my basses, and I just order sets of individual strings instead of sets, because a) E-F tuned sets are hard to find unless you buy 7 string sets, and b) once you find a packaged set you have no control of gauging. I've also yet to find someone who makes a really well balanced light gauge set, either.

Mine is currently strung- .016-.020-.038-.055-.075-.090.
    I also have a piccolo E-E strung .007-.011-.018-.025-.040-.055.

Ordering everything as single strings is probably your best bet. I get most of them from juststrings.com, who I've used for probably 6+ years without a single problem.

Piccolo strings are from Conklin. Good people!

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

That will get you pretty close to where you want. You might have to experiment with gauges a bit.

Or you could buy a 7 string set, and throw out the low B string, as others have suggested.

Moved to Strings.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021