Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6-string bass help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by starpen, Feb 13, 2006.

1. starpen

starpen

Feb 13, 2006
    I need a little help. I'm looking for a new 6-string bass, but I can't find anything that sounds good.

Right now, I'm playing the Yamaha John Myung RBX bass and I love the narrow spacing between the strings. Does anyone have some experience with basses that has less space between the strings?

Please give me some ideas of what 6-strings that kick ass!

Thx!

2. The Yamaha TRB100x basses have quite tight string spacing. I own the TRB1006, it plays like a dream, sounds like a dream, no complaints really except the pre-amp isn't all that. I usually keep the EQ flat though, boosting the lows for a warmer sound. The lows are good. I don't like boosting the mids on it, and the treble is ok.... nothing special.

3. starpen

starpen

Feb 13, 2006
    I've tried the Yamaha TRB100x, but I thought the tone was to "deep". I like the clean tone with a lot of high-end. Now much into the rumbling deep-ends. The plus about the Yamaha RBX JM is, that it has, even on the low B, a clear tone to it.

I might be wrong sbout the Yamaha TRB100x. Is it muddering when playing the low B, or is it clean?

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Samick Fairlane 6 easily has the narrowest neck and string spacing of any 6 I've ever played. 2" at nut, 3.1" at the heel. It was the only 6-string bass that was even comfortable for me. And though it's a Samick, it's actually a surprisingly good bass. Greg Bennett really did good on revamping and improving Samick's guitar line.

Tonewise, it's pretty much bread and butter tones. The pickups are pretty transparent and don't color your sound much if at all. I prefer that, though, as I can really control the tone with my touch.

Other good budget 6ers: Ibanez SR506, Peavey Fury 6.

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Carvin's LB/BB/XB76 models are about 2" at the nut, 3.2" at the bridge. They're well built too. Used, they're a great value.

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    SR506 ... tight spacing, Bart pup's and pre.

7. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    +1. The Ibanez SR506 has a tight spacing and overall sounds pretty good (although that is very subjective).

Shawn

8. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    K...here's the deal with me. I have an RBX6JM I've been playing forever as well. I pulled out the factory pre and put in a Basslines pre. It made a world of difference. I now have a TRB1006 on order and it should be here late March. I'm going to do the same thing with the pre because I'm giddy about how good it made the Myung sound. Anyhow, if you want to experiment with that stuff, go ahead, but something you should think about checking out is a Schecter Stilletto Studio 6. Cool looking bass, clear as a bell, and as tight a B as the Myung (they're both 35" scale). The Schecter should be around a comparable price to the TRB and new Myung, as well as any Ibz and even the Spector Legend 6. IMHO, the Myung totally blows away the Ibz's and the bart pup's and pre aren't exactly what you would get if you ordered bart pups and a pre. They're basically the EMG HZ of Bart...not that that's horrible or anything.

9. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    +1

10. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Cort A6
    [​IMG]
    Bartolini Preamp
    Bartolini Pick ups
    Through Neck Construction
    24 fret
    Strings are very close

And they are fairly priced.

11. Those are the 3 I would suggest as well - ALL nice choices, and all in the same price range (the TRB is probably a little more since you can get a TRB1005 for around 800). I tried the Cort as described above, and it felt "cheap" compared to these three - didn't even plug it in for the sound...IMHO, if I don't like how it feels, then it will be a battle to play it, no matter how good it sounds. The latest Ibanezs I've tried don't match up in quality (feel-wise - neck not finished properly, bad set up, etc.) to what they were making even a couple of years ago when I got mine. If you can deal with the Schecter Stilleto 6 "Honey Orange" coloring, it's an awesome sounding instrument. You might experience some neck dive with the Spector due to where they've placed the strap buttons. I was very impressed with the Yamaha 5 I've tried, but stores around here haven't brought in a TRB1006 yet.