1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string bass help...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by musicboyy, Mar 22, 2006.

1. musicboyy

musicboyy

Mar 22, 2006
    Chelmsford, MA
    Hi all!

I am going to be in the market for a new 6 string bass soon. I can probably only spend between $600 and $700. As of now, these are the basses I'm considering:

- Ibanez sr506
    - Spector Legend 6
    - Dean Edge Q6
    - Schecter Stiletto Studio 6

Anyone have any opinions which is best for the money? Any other recommendations? I love the Tobias Toby Custom, but it may be a little over my budget and I've heard that the pickups are horrible. I don't really want to spend $750 on a bass and then have to spend more to upgrade the pickups.

I currently have a Brice 6 string, which is ok but the build quality is a little below par. It was just a inexpensive way of getting a 6 string to see if I'd stick with playing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dan

2. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I'd play them before making your decision. I played the Toby and didn't like it as well as an Ibanez BTB that I played. Of the one's that you listed, I'd go for the sr506, but I'm a 4 player, so that may not be helpful :-D I liked the sr506 quite a bit last time I tried one at GC. That said though, I preferred the BTB. How about used?

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Brice 6 and have owned a Dean Edge 5 and it was great. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Brice Q6 is going to be a noticable step up from the Brice as far as quality of materials and workmanship. The others probably will be also. Personally I'd avoid Ibanez I'm not a fan of their stuff for the most part.

4. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The Brice is a great way to get your feet wet in the 6 world. I don't know which one you have, but the top of the Brice line, the Prestige Z6 is a really decent bass ......

But if you're looking to go elsewhere, the Dean is a good choice, as is the Ibanez. I don't know a lot about the Spectors/Schectors ...... As usual, if there is any way you can get a chance to play them, do it.

I personally would favor the Brice Z6 over the others, but it is a big bodied bass with a wide neck and 35" scale. if you're using a Brice HXB406 right now, or the earlier V2 version, the Z6 will feel quite different. And my second choice would be the Dean ...... :cool:

5. Also consider a used Carvin or Peavey Cirrus.

6. There is a GORGEOUS used 6 Carvin anniversary model on ebay right now. If it didn't have the narrow string spacing, I'd be in the thick of the bidding.

Echo the sentiment re: the Prestige Z from Brice - although my Brice electronics have always been noisy. My Ibanez experience was a good one with my 5 string, but whe I went to a six, the quality seemed to drop.

If you're looking for a recommendation from one of the ones you've listed, the Spector is a really nice choice - the curved body that fits a "gut" nicely, and great sound & playability. However, it's top heavy, so holding the head up for a four hour gig can put a strain on your left arm. They really need to reposition their strap buttons or something.

I would go hands down with the Schecter - great playing, balanced, wide range of tone, etc....EXCEPT that it only comes in that goddam FREAKIN' ORANGE. The same design in a custom color would cost over 3 grand since it would be made in America.

Find a Brice Prestige Z from www.rondomusic.net for $400, and buy an upgraded pre-amp/electronics (aguilar or demeter) for a couple hundred and have it professionally installed and set-up (that's what my plan is for mine). The wide string space (19mm) makes it perfectly playable for anything from slap/pop funk to country to rock (I prefer my fretless for jazz).

7. musicboyy

musicboyy

Mar 22, 2006
    Chelmsford, MA
    Thanks for the replies! Ya, that Carvin is beautiful!! I would consider it if I could do it now...but alas I need to possibly wait a couple months. Just starting the research now.

The Brice I own is the HXB-406 in natural but with the older 34" scale. The low B is a little "floppy", so I think a 35" scale would be better. Since my Brice does not have a great "fit n' finish", I'm weary about trying out another Brice. Having said that, I must say that I think the new Brice Defiant 6 is pretty nice looking. Has anyone had any experience with this bass? If it was nice, I suppose at $400, I could upgrade the electronics and still be at the $600 mark.

The Dean Q6 is nice looking, but I haven't had the pleasure of trying one out yet.

I've had an Ibanez 6 string (sr806 with EMGs) a few years ago, but got rid of it because I wasn't playing anymore...stupid me. I did like it alot, so I think the I'd be happy with the Ibanez (unless the sr506 has lower quality). However, it is 34" scale...so I don't know if I'd have the same problem with a undefined low B that my Brice has.

The Spector is in the lead right now, due to reputation, reviews and features/price. However, I have yet to play one. I am a little worried that the new Legend 6 strings have EMG-SSDs instead of the EMG-HZs. Is there really any difference?

The Schecter does seem to have the best features, but I haven't seen one in the stores yet to play. Also, I've had a hard time finding it online to purchase. It may be a special order...

Dan

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You;ve mentioned the Toby already, IMO it's as good as or better than anything on your list even at the list price.

IMO the Toby 6 Pro is substantially superior to everything you've listed (and I'm a big Dean fan). It stretches your budget a bit, but it's a hell of a bass.

If you're concerned about pickup and EQ quality, scratch the Ibanez right away. In my limited experience you really can't go wrong with any bass with the Spector name on it if that's your style (it's not mine, but they're great basses nonetheless). I think the pickups and EQ on the Toby are great, at least on the one I've played. Perhaps the owner of that bass will chime in......

9. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The Brice Defiant would really be a lateral move for you. Sound wise, quality wise, it's really no different than the HXB406. The only real difference in the pricing is that it has a nice top on it instead of the veneer and the body is contoured as compared to the HXB's "slab" style. Don't misunderstand me, it's a decent bass, but you really aren't stepping up in quality.

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If SSD stands for "Stuart Spector Design" I'd think that they are on par with EMG-HZ pickups (which I personally really like the sound of - they sounded wonderful in my old Dean Edge 5).

I agree with Point that the new Brice that's not neck through would be a lateral move for you. Not worth the trouble.

11. musicboyy

musicboyy

Mar 22, 2006
    Chelmsford, MA
    Again, thanks!

I figured I'd just ask about the Brice...just in case it was a step up. I'll just stay away from going with another Brice.

In all honesty, I have always wanted a Tobias ( I guess you could say it is my "dream bass"), ever since playing a friend's while in college...not sure what model he had though. The Toby is not totally out of the question, price-wise. If it is was a great bass, I'd shell out the extra. I've just read so many poor reviews...based mainly on the Tobias brand electronics it comes with...that it started turning me off to that option. I would just hate to have to spend another $200 or so to upgrade. How would you rate and compare the sound? I mean, I'm pretty happy with the sound of the Brice, so if the Toby sounds like that, if not better...that would put it back at the top of the list.

Thanks for the info on the EMG-SSD's. I was concerned that they were of lower quality when I saw that they were on the lower end Performer series.

Dan

12. Try them all out and see what u like best, I would pick the Ibanez out of those, but that justme, someone said a used Carvin, If you can find one absolutely pick that up, used Carvins are a terrific value!

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The 6 string Toby Pro that I've played belongs to fellow member "Edwcdc" who will probably chime in here soon. His bass has the Maple body wings which they no longer offer on their site. It's heavy, but not terribly so, and it looks, sounds, and plays really sweet. It is goregeous take a look at the picture threads in my signature for a picture with the title "This bass is heavy". It is. :) But I've played heavier.

I don't know what Gibson is going for here, but I would put that bass up against some of the best imports I've ever played, some much more expensive. The fit and finish is very good, a step up from my Dean which is in turn a step up from my Brice V2. I believe that the preamp and pickups have been switched out, not sure. However, I'd pretty much guarantee that the stock Tobias stuff will sound as good or probably better than your current Brice (which if it's like mine sounds pretty decent). And who says you have to change out the stuff right away? Make it a project for next year or something. No rush! Also
    A good friend of mine has three steinbergers he got from MusicYo and he has been happy with their service.

Frankly, with the quality of the stuff coming out of Korea at the $6-700 price range, there's no way you can go wrong. All the basses in this segment are going to be high quality well made instruments which will make you very happy. :)