1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string bass - neck relief

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by grifff, Mar 28, 2009.

1. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Should one side of the bass's relief be more straight than the other? I just purchased an Ibanez 706 and im doing some set up work on it. It came from the shop with more bow in the bass end and less in the treble. Is this correct?

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I have 2 ibanez 6 string basses and neither of them have the necks like that. My SR506 has dual truss rods so if yours does too just adjust it till your neck is the way you like.

3. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Yeah, my bass has two truss rods. Are your necks more or less straight? I like my action as low as possible without any buzzing and im not sure how the relief should be set in order to achieve this.

4. Just a semi-educated guess here but I imagine the relief should be the same from bass-to-treble side of the neck. As for how much, that can vary according to playing style(lighter touch can go lower action & less relief)as well as several other factors- string gauge, neck strength. Hopefully more experienced bass-tweakers will chime in. :)

5. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Thanks for the response. I have yet to change the strings but they are the stock strings that come on all Ibanez's. The G string is .45 gauge and the E is .105 I believe. Im not sure about the C and B but I will keep the gauges the same as I prefer the .45's.

6. Another thought- this might get better exposure in *setup & repair* :)

7. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    Stock strings are elixer medium gauge with a 32 for the C and a 130 B. I like my action low as well and I keep my neck closer to the straight side. Hope this helps.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Yep. Moved.