Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string bass opinions....anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wonderboy, Dec 14, 2002.

1. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    i need to get a new 6 string bass. i currently have a samick 6 string neck-thru and a raven 6 string bolt on. i am in need of moving on to a higher end bass in the $0-1200+ range (possibly in between 800-1200 would be nice) being that i am beginning to do a bunch of professinoal work in L.A. i am thinking of a warwick corvette, seeing that i have the 4 string version and love it. but i was also interested in trying out a modulus or other basses. what are your opinions. Also, both of my other basses are on sale and i would let them go at 425. i have pics, so if you want to get your willy wet on a six string shoot me an email: ilovebio@hotmail.com

thank you in advance to all those who respond.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Before you spend your money, you owe it to yourself to check out a Peavey Cirrus.

For $1200, you're not going to get a new(or even a used) Modulus. It is tough to get a Corvette 6 for that price also.

3. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    i've heard of the cirrus, i just don't see peavey as a high end bass manufacturer, though i could be wrong. and i've seen those warwick 6's go as low as 700-900 on ebay.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you ever played a Cirrus? They compete with basses costing twice as much. The are midline price, but high end sound and craftsmanship. Much better than a Warwick bolt on, IMHO.

5. I back up Embellisher here. Peavey Cirrus' are wonderful and you really should check one out. They are of such high quality it is unreal. I don't have mine yet but I am picking up a used six in mint condition for $750 with the case; new ones are about $1399. You can't go wrong with one.

Check out Ebay, there is a couple on there right now.

J.

6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I used to play Roscoes and Warwicks until I found the Peavey Cirrus. Now I have a fretted and fretless 6 and that's all I play. They are built and sound better than anything twice their price. It's just my (and several other reputable members) opinion but you should seriously look into them. They have a variety of woods to fit the sound you're looking for and they're readily available new and used.

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I second Embellisher's comments also. I had a Peavey Cirrus 6 for a bit and it was a fantastic bass in every respect. I sold only because 6's just weren't my thing. If only it had one less string it would have been a keeper for good.

Umm... something else I forgot to mention. Dude, you have a Samick and you're having difficulty viewing Peavey as a quality instrument? (No disrespect intended).

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I would go with a Modulus in a heartbeat.
    I just scored one at $1400 in excellent condition except for a ding.

And I know where is a Modulus from 92 at $1199

9. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    yes i have a samick, but that was just to get my feet wet and see if i could handle it. and i can. being a young 21 i didn't toss out thousands for something i wasn't sure about. but know since i am a budding session/pro. cat AND opening up for victor wooten in january (as well as melvin seals and tim reynolds in the past), i feel i've paid my dues. i never said anywhere nor did i ever think that a samick was a "high-end" manufacturer. that is why i ask opinions, you don't need to hate.

no worries. peace.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmmm. Bad dilemma here. I did a couple shows opening for Vic a couple of years ago. He was impressed with what I played, but at the time I was only making $3500 a week. I think if you made around $3500 a week, you'd be fine, and could afford a top-of-the-line bass.

What's the Vic gig paying? Is he still going at the same rate as '99?

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I won't poor mouth the Peavey. My limited experience with those basses seems to support everything that has been said in the this thread.

But IME, the $1,200 price point is really awkward, especially when talking six string basses. You are starting to flirt with the nice stuff but are still a little tight to get into something really sweet.

It would be a STEAL and you'd be quite lucky to pickup up a Q6 for that.

Based on where you seem to be headed, I would sit on the money for few months until you can scrape together a bit more. get up to about $1500 and the Modulus would be a reality. I bought a mint Q5 for that.

In the $1,500 range you can start thinking Modulus, Zon and many other nice basses.

I suggest trying on of the Ken Smith bolt-on neck six strings. IMO, Ken Smith makes the best playing six out there. Great tone as well. You could score a nice, used Ken Smith bolt 6 for $1500 or so.

Chas

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The Peavey Cirrus wether it's a 4,5,or 6 can't be beat,I agree with Embelisher,if you take the time to check out a Cirrus 6 you might just like it.I have come across several used ones and for the price and it's quality it would be a positive investment.and I have played 90% of the basses on the market.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've seen used Yamaha Patituccis around $1000. That's a tasty bolt-on 6.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i really like my fretless warwick 6 - and i'll be the voice of dissent like usual and say that i don't like any cirrus i've played as well as i like this thing. but the tone i have in my ear is a little different than cirrus tone, plus i'm not a big fan of 35" scale basses....so i guess it has more to do with me than the bass. i paid 960 for my thumb 6'er, you could probably do the same. ebay is your friend.

anyways, you could always put together a carvin for that much, or maybe something like an ibanez BTB? i played a 6 string soundgear yesterday that sounded like poo, but that thing played really REALLY well! maybe one with new pickups and electronics? OR an sr3006e - mahogany body, wenge neck, bartolini pickups, that thing should rock! definitely try a cirrus, whether i like them or not doesn't make them good or bad basses - they're def good basses just not for me.

that was incoherant as usual!