Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 String Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VJP, Jun 25, 2001.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Hi Guys. New to the forum. I've viewed it for a while and enjoyed it. Now I have a question, so I figured I'd join in.The question is for all you 6 (and 7) string users: I just got my first 6, a Ken Smith CR6G, and I'm diggin' it so far, but the high C string is basically non-existant as far as hearing it in a live gig setting. Have any of you experienced this? I realize it's not going to be a big, beefy sound on the C string, but I'd at least like to hear it. Thanks All!!!

2. i have a ken smith 6 as well, although it is an older neck through, and i'm able to hear it as if i'm playing in a higher register on the G string, but maybe a tad bit thinner. smith basses tend to be a little more cutting in the upper-mid eq range in my experience, which basically means they're not as round sounding in that range. maybe this is what you're experiencing?

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    It could also be your choice of string gauge. The C might be a bit too thin. Or, I think it's more likely an EQ issue with your amp. Those high notes might be going to a tweeter that isn't as powerful as the main speakers. At least that's the problem I've had; the tweeter in my amp is rated at 50watts while the 15" speaker is rated at 150.

4. Yes, but the higher frequencies don't need as much power to be heard. There is a reason Guitarist's can used 100 watt heads while we must use 300+ watts.

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    That's true, but guitarists don't play through tweeters.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That's not the source of your problem; that's the way it's *supposed* to be. Higher frequencies need less power to be heard at the same volume.

BTW, what the tweeter or speaker is rated at doesn't have anything to do with how much sound it's actually putting out. A transducer rating of the type you cite has to do not with loudness, which is measured in decibels or dB, but with how much power, in watts, the device can accept without frying. In itself, it says nothing about how much power, again in watts, your particular amp may actually be giving it. A speaker rating is like a 5 gallon bucket; an amplifier rating is like five gallons of water. There can't be more than five gallons of water in the bucket, but there can certainly be less or none.

Also, power handling capacity does not determine acoustic output, i.e., loudness. It's like comparing a car engine's maximum RPM with the car's top speed--the two are not unconnected, but they're not the same thing at all. In that sense, it's meaningless to say that the tweeter is less "powerful" than the 15. Amps can be powerful; transducers are merely the victims of power.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I often use a Smith BSR6 GN and I never have the problem you mention with the C. Hard to say what you're experiencing without hearing it. Smiths are known for their clarity, especially in the upper register.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Some high C's (and F's) can tend to be thin sounding, depending on the bass. You can try to dial it in with EQ but first I'd check the pickup height and make sure the higher strings are as close as needed.