6 string bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rafterman, Apr 20, 2001.

1. i need some advice on what kind of strings i need for a 6-string bass...i want the best quality, what are good brands?...i play rock, and some funk, and a little jazz...what guage and brands are good for my style?
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Any string can be used in situation...arguably. So what you're going to get are people telling you their favorite strings.

Because you are getting a Soundgear, id suggest you look into a set with a .135 B, at least. Id suggest maybe some Labella Hard Rockin Steels (see what i said?" :D) because they last a good long time, and they're very tight.

But, you might also look into DR; they're easily accessible most anywhere, and they're great strings. But IMO, the .135 is key.

And dont get Ernie Balls! :D
  3. hey Angus, check this...i got a Soundgear SR-506 (6-string)...it had all the features you guys said that Soundgears didn't...it had a nice tight B-string...awesome tone, IMO...and comfortable...but a little on the heavy side, though...but not too heavy...i got a good deal on it...$300.00 plus, the guy who sold me the bass even threw in a leather, foam padded gigbag ($100 worth)...so i'm sooo happy now!!!...i won't be buying a bass in a LONG TIME.

and if worse comes to worse, i can always replace the preamp...oh yeah...and it's an ACTIVE bass.
  4. D'addario slowounds are a good choice, also D'addario Prisms if you like a brighter sound.