6 string bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    anyone have any recommendations?

I just got my first 6 string and have always previously played 4 bangers, so I have no experience with low B's and high C's.

I'm looking for some higher tension strings.

2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I use GHS. They were in a blue package. They're great-- really bright.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Sure you want high tension?

Smith Rock Masters, seem hard to me, very high tension with a lot of bottom (i believe.. too much bottom)

Fodera´s are high tension. Most stainless steel strings with heavy guage core are high tension.

What I would recommend, are La Bella´s Hard Rocking Steel, but they are not high tension, they are medium, but sound delicious.
  4. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I just prefer higher tension strings because I play kinda hard.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  5. I use the Fodera Diamond Series.. They arent bad but pretty expensive around here if they are store bought.
  6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    +1 on Foderas! :hyper:
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I'm gonna go back and try the Fodera's again. I used to use them but the quality wasn't consistent in the beginning. It was only one person making them when they first came out. I liked them though. To those that use them, do you get the set with a tapered B string or without?
  8. In my opinion, you should try to go with a type of string that allows you set the action low without having any buzz. The reason I say this is because you may find a high action very annoying and irritating on a 6 string (I play a 6 string 99.5% of the time). Because of the smaller string spacings, it might be harder to "get out of" the pocket between two strings when you finger/pick/thumb/slap them. I find it irritating enough on 4 strings. My suggestion is D'Addario half rounds. Again, I've said it once, and I'll say it again. They'll either be your perfect string or you'll hate them. (They are a very smooth string, but have the capacity for contemporary slap tones too).
  9. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    On my 34's,normal B's.
    On my 35's,tapered B's.
    I tried otherwise too but the present combination sounds best on my basses.
    Of course,it could be quite the opposite on your instrument(s)!
  10. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I've only used 2 brands of strings when I used to own a 6-string.

Ken Smith Burners- these strings are great. Really smooth and have a long life. However, they have a very warm, almost upright sound so that may or may not work for you.

SIT PowerWounds- Ever since I tried these, I'm an SIT man for life. They have nice smooth feel of nickel with more brightness than the Smiths.

However, you're sure to get a wider variety of 6-string sets in terms of gauges, nickel/steel, and all that with Smiths. I highly recommend Ken Smith strings, especially if you play an extended range bass.