6 String Bass Strung E - E?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LeonD, May 4, 2005.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I have an MTD 635 (35") that I'd like to try strung like a guitar (E - E).

Does anyone make a stock set that would work in the configuration? I'm thinking it'd be like a 7 string set without the low B.

2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Nope, nobody makes a stock set.

You could maybe get a custom set, like call some guy who works at a music store and is friendly and be like, "Yo, I need an E, A, D, G, C" and whatever the other 2 strings are.

Why are you tuning this way if you don't mind me asking?
  3. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Gooood luck. I was originally gonna tune my 6er EADGCF, but it was hard to find that F string without getting a 7 string set, and those are hard to find. The B string on your bass would probably be equivalent to a C string, so around a .030 gauge would work, and you can check www.juststrings.com for singles around the .020 range for the E string. Conklin sells single F strings that are .022 wound on their website, too.
  4. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I find myself playing in three different settings.

When I'm playing alone, I enjoy playing guitar. I also have a duo gig with a guitarist where I do a lot of soloing and chords on bass. Finally, I play on a worship team where a three string bass would be more than enough.

As an experiment, I'd like to string my bass like a guitar. This way for soloing and chords I can use the same fingering as on guitar (mostly on the upper strings). For my more fundamental bass playing, I still have the E to G strings like on a standard 4 string bass.

I'm trying this as an experiment and may last only a few days. Or it could last a lifetime.

Thanks for the replies,

5. Hey Leon,

When you find out how to do it let me know. I have been interrested in the samething but have yet to try it.
  6. this has been discused b4 many times im sure if u searched u could find something
  7. i had a thread going like this. it might help search for "THIS MIGHT SOUND STUPID BUT.." or you could just look at my user and click on the find everypost button.