1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 String Bass Strung E - E?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LeonD, May 4, 2005.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I have an MTD 635 (35") that I'd like to try strung like a guitar (E - E).

Does anyone make a stock set that would work in the configuration? I'm thinking it'd be like a 7 string set without the low B.

Thanks,
    LeonD

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Nope, nobody makes a stock set.

You could maybe get a custom set, like call some guy who works at a music store and is friendly and be like, "Yo, I need an E, A, D, G, C" and whatever the other 2 strings are.

Why are you tuning this way if you don't mind me asking?

3. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Gooood luck. I was originally gonna tune my 6er EADGCF, but it was hard to find that F string without getting a 7 string set, and those are hard to find. The B string on your bass would probably be equivalent to a C string, so around a .030 gauge would work, and you can check www.juststrings.com for singles around the .020 range for the E string. Conklin sells single F strings that are .022 wound on their website, too.

4. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I find myself playing in three different settings.

When I'm playing alone, I enjoy playing guitar. I also have a duo gig with a guitarist where I do a lot of soloing and chords on bass. Finally, I play on a worship team where a three string bass would be more than enough.

As an experiment, I'd like to string my bass like a guitar. This way for soloing and chords I can use the same fingering as on guitar (mostly on the upper strings). For my more fundamental bass playing, I still have the E to G strings like on a standard 4 string bass.

I'm trying this as an experiment and may last only a few days. Or it could last a lifetime.

Thanks for the replies,
    LeonD

5. Hey Leon,

When you find out how to do it let me know. I have been interrested in the samething but have yet to try it.

6. this has been discused b4 many times im sure if u searched u could find something

7. i had a thread going like this. it might help search for "THIS MIGHT SOUND STUPID BUT.." or you could just look at my user and click on the find everypost button.