Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6-String Bass tunings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5fretless, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Leading on from my affordable 7-string thread,

Perhaps an inexpensive way to get into the "higher" end of ERB tunings would be to get an inexpensive 6-string, say a second hand Cort Curbow-6 or Dean Edge 6 and tune it EADGCF.

Maybe one day I 'll get a Jerzy Drozd 7-string with the three octave neck - but just to get a taster of the higher end side of things tuning wise - and to see if it is my cup of tea - getting a cheap 6-string and using the aforementioned alternate tuning may be the way to go..........

Mind you - would I want a Galveston 8-string ? - at $499 on e-bay - what the hey ........perhaps.........it's just the string spacing that is putting me off.

Bill

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Galveston is much lower quality than the price would indicate. I have played a couple, and they are pretty dreadful in terms of tone. Some fit & finish issues, too.

Why not look for a used Conklin Groove Tools 7? Excellent 7 stringer for not a lot of $$$. The Bill Dickens model is nice too, although a bit more expensive.

As far as your original topic, you could definitely buy a mid priced 6, and string it with the 6 highest strings from a 7 set. I have played a couple that were strung up that way. I don't need a high F string, so they didn't appeal to me, but different strokes, right?

Some would work great off the shelf, others may need a new nut installed and a neck adjustment. But all of that is easily done, and not too expensive if you can't do it yourself.