6 string bass - what do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakeopolis, Jul 21, 2005.

1. hey everyone,

i'm interested in possibly buying a 6-string bass, and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. the sound i'm aiming for is a bit like anthony jackson's 6-string fodera (he has played that bass with michel camilo, among others) - very punchy, but not too bright (of course, he plays mostly with his thumb). i'm also not looking to spend too much money, with a budget of about $600 canadian. what would you guys recommend?

for the record, i'm not a beginner, i've been playing for almost 10 years. this bass would be used mainly in a latin/jazz/flamenco/funk/fusion band i'm working in now.
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Personally, i'd go with the Ibanez BTB 6. I usually hate Ibanez's but I loved this
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    A big '+1' to that. It's a great bass for the money.

4. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Definitely check out the BTB ... I just purchased one not too long ago and its very versatile, nice weight, fairly wide neck, and has a good B string, (not Roscoe good, but for the price it rocks!). BTW I paid roughly 650 usd new, but if you look around they pop up in the $400 range used.
    good luck
    - Tom
  5. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I just bought a new Ibanez SR-506 about a month ago and absolutely love it! Bartolini MK1 PUP's, Mahogny body, 5 piece Bubinga/Wenge neck, a plays great! Brand new they go for about $600 USD, so it's in the price range you specified. You'd be hard pressed to find a better 6 string bass for that price. ;)

Good luck and have fun!! :bassist:
  6. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Great bass. But $600 USD, is more like $750 CAD.

Still, I would recommend your bass. Or another Ibanez, then upgrade the pups. It would probably come out to around the same $750 CAD.

Check out Songbird, they usually have a couple of good used basses. I picked up an Ibanez 6 string for less than $500. Sold it 1 month later for $650, after upgrading the pickups to EMGs.
    The string spacing was a bit too tight for me.
  7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    For your price range I think you're only going to be able to find an ESSEX or a BRICE. I think $600 CA is prob around $350 USD. So, you really don't have too many options.
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree with Josh, for your price range (new) there are barely any real options beisdes Brice. The Presitge basses are a pretty good value (actually a great value), I have one that I'm selling (absolutely a shameless plug :scowl: ) in the TB classifieds now .......