1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 string bass - what do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakeopolis, Jul 21, 2005.

1. hey everyone,

i'm interested in possibly buying a 6-string bass, and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. the sound i'm aiming for is a bit like anthony jackson's 6-string fodera (he has played that bass with michel camilo, among others) - very punchy, but not too bright (of course, he plays mostly with his thumb). i'm also not looking to spend too much money, with a budget of about $600 canadian. what would you guys recommend?

for the record, i'm not a beginner, i've been playing for almost 10 years. this bass would be used mainly in a latin/jazz/flamenco/funk/fusion band i'm working in now.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Personally, i'd go with the Ibanez BTB 6. I usually hate Ibanez's but I loved this

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    A big '+1' to that. It's a great bass for the money.

Graeme

4. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Definitely check out the BTB ... I just purchased one not too long ago and its very versatile, nice weight, fairly wide neck, and has a good B string, (not Roscoe good, but for the price it rocks!). BTW I paid roughly 650 usd new, but if you look around they pop up in the $400 range used.
    good luck
    - Tom

5. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I just bought a new Ibanez SR-506 about a month ago and absolutely love it! Bartolini MK1 PUP's, Mahogny body, 5 piece Bubinga/Wenge neck, a plays great! Brand new they go for about $600 USD, so it's in the price range you specified. You'd be hard pressed to find a better 6 string bass for that price. ;)

[​IMG]

Good luck and have fun!! :bassist:

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Great bass. But $600 USD, is more like $750 CAD.

Still, I would recommend your bass. Or another Ibanez, then upgrade the pups. It would probably come out to around the same $750 CAD.

Check out Songbird, they usually have a couple of good used basses. I picked up an Ibanez 6 string for less than $500. Sold it 1 month later for $650, after upgrading the pickups to EMGs.
    The string spacing was a bit too tight for me.

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    For your price range I think you're only going to be able to find an ESSEX or a BRICE. I think $600 CA is prob around $350 USD. So, you really don't have too many options.

8. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree with Josh, for your price range (new) there are barely any real options beisdes Brice. The Presitge basses are a pretty good value (actually a great value), I have one that I'm selling (absolutely a shameless plug :scowl: ) in the TB classifieds now .......