Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Antipop, Sep 30, 2002.

1. About a month ago I bough a Korean Spector 6 string, cost me less than $600 american. I know it isn't the greatest 6 out there (probably on the lower end, though I love the neck on it, was cheap while still having a decent sound) but I have fallen in love with 6 strings. I know it's only been a month but I pick up my 4's here and there and, they just arn't as fun.

Also, I don't know if it is the change in neck width but when I pick up a 4 now, my god I fly about 4 times the speed I used to but I love the 6 so much more.

Anyways, just typing in how I like playing a six...it's pretty pointless I know but I know I'll do it again if I end up with a 7.

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That's cool that you like playing with extended range. I think JT often cites a similar boredom with 4-bangers (I'm not sure if that should scare you or not :eek: or ;) ). I wish I had some money to get a 7-string. :sigh:

BTW, shouldn't this be in Basses? :confused:

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    brendan and i are recent 7 converts, although he is more enthused than i.

for now, it's 5 for me (and it'll probably stay that way for a while...).

4. I didnt know where to put this so I threw it into misc.

Me like JT? I could never compare.

I wish I could afford a nice 6 or 7 myself, I think I covered it all.

NP: Some Frog Brigade thing I got from http://www.tipitinas.com/Insider/video_archive.html

I highly suggest watching it. It's some good stuff!

5. 4.25 :D

(3(4 strings) + 5string)/4= 4.25

:rolleyes:

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  7. why was 6 afraid of 7??

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Because 7 ate 9

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I was lookin' the other way, but someone reported this thread and said it belonged in "basses".

One less thread to mind? suuuure....

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I've been all 7 all the time for a year and a half, and I still can't help typing about how cool I think it is.

Oops, there I go again...

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  12. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    why, you big... always gotta one-up -- er, 10-up me, dontcha?

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  14. Do I need to remind everyone (once again) that Jaco only needed a....... errr.... Never mind, I just realized my avatar shows a 6. ;)

15. I picked up a 6 string Alvarez in a music store last night. Now I know that the Alvarez isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but for the money it looked and sounded OK. My biggest gripe about a 6 is the string spacing at the bridge. Granted the neck is gonna have to be just this side of an air craft carrier but how do you get use to that "tippi toe" feeling with your right hand?

16. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    It just depends on the brand/model as to what the string spacing is. A lot of 6 stringers have wide string spacing nowadays, most people I've talked to prefer the wider spacing. I actually like the somewhat tighter spacing of my carvin though, I guess it's whatever you get used to.

17. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yeah, I dug my Carvin 6's spacing; my Conklin GrooveTools 7s actually have wider spacing (not just wider neck) than the Carvins. One of the few things I dislike about my Conks. I think the main reason I prefer narrow is I don't slap.

JT, what are the nut/bridge spacings on your 7's?