Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phoenixdown, Oct 23, 2002.

1. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    im a 4 string bassist(cheap nasty £120 tanglewood rebel 4k p/j bass) and after a year and a half im thinkin its time to upgrade to a new bass and im considering a 6 string but only 1 band i listen to uses a 6 string bass(Dream Theater) and i know the low b string comes into use in most metal acts and saves the effort of detuning but im still unsure and i have no chance to try 1 out b4 i buy it. the main problem being i usually play low slung coz its the way ive always played and playing a 6 would mean id play higher up which is ok untill i want to start walking around or generally acting about when im playing so im wondering if i should go for a 6 or a 5 and if any1 could tell me about some other bands that use 6 string bassists id be very glad so i can get a better idea of how versitle they are

anyways thanks for reading this

2. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I was in a similar position in '95 I was a 4 string player and bought the DT album Awake and I thought this is so cool I want a 6 string, I bought myself a 6 string but then I realized the 6th string is not essential to JM's playing and also not in Metal or Rock, the 6th string is mainly for soloing , chords etc...... I bought a 5 string and have been using 5 strings since and I can play most of the DT songs on my 5 string.
    Hope this helps:)

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Don't let yourself be too influenced by someone else's choice of equipment. Your favourite bassist may currently be using desirable looking instruments by ABC with X strings, but there's every chance that they'll have moved onto DEF with Y strings by the next album...

I love having a six string bass because I appreciate the extended range in both directions and the possibilities it opens up for tricks such as bass chording or simply choosing from a wider range of places to play a particular note.

However, you're likely to pay more to purchase a six string (it involves a bit more wood and hardware) and to maintain it (six strings to replace each time). I'd certainly recommend looking for opportunities to play basses with more than four strings but I would think you're better off going for a bass that is within your budget, comfortable to play and sounding better than your existing bass rather than setting your heart on X number of strings or a particular hardware configuration based merely on what you've heard other people talking about.

BTW, regarding playing your bass slung low - make sure you're not having to bend your fretting hand's wrist too much as this will not only slow you down but also runs the risk of serious long term injury. If you think you need the bass slung round your ankles to look cool, give up and become a vocalist :D ;)

Wulf

4. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    yer i sorta felt the c string wasnt overly used except in few songs (like the intro of glass prison) the bases i was looking at was the ESP B-105 and the Ibanez BTB406 although ive heard the BTB dosent have a very strong finish on it which would again mean more changing to my playing style because i normally use a pick although i do use my fingers quite a lot coz i believe its important to be good with both. anyhoo i dont play as low as me knees (i tried and i just ended up having to lean over to much) im meaning like just below waist and i found that playng higher up my right hand hurt more than my fretting hand coz of the angle it was at. well my price range is around £500 and the ibanez costs £425 over here and on musicians friend it costs $669 so if u know anything around that price then feel free to mention it cause theres hardly any basses round here to try out coz most shops stock mainly guitars with only a few basses

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    You can get a used Yamaha John Myung signature for around $500

6. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    theres hardly any used basses at all round here and if i did see 1 i would definitly buy it (the inlay is just fantastic and everything else is but the inlay really stood out) ive been looking around for used basses and theres hardly any except a warwick thumb for about £1000 or summin but its well outa my price range and id be too scared to play it incase i dropped it or banged it or sumin lol.

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I have one, I'll sell it to you for $450 if you pay the shipping

8. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    isnt postage a fortune and what finish is it in?

9. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Turqoise blue (although it's more green than blue) the shipping from Iceland is about $200 via FedEx but if you're in no hurry it's a lot less

10. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    kool yer i know ive got the metropolis 2000 dvd and he mainly uses the green 1 depends coz i think i owe my mum sum cash so ihave to see how much i owe her and everything also are u using us dollers for yer price or what coz im in scotland just so i know so i can see how much that translates into uk£.

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you like the body somewhere below waist level, keep the neck in a more upright position - that way you don't have to reach and stretch so much for the notes. And that's all I'll say on that here, since it's not particularly related to whether or not to play a six string bass... ;)