Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 String basses....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrSaturn, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSaturn

MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    blah blah blah....mumble mumble mumble...can anyone hear me with my head up my butt? blah blah mumble mumble.

2. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I feel dumber for reading that.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Does it hurt when you think? Because it hurts when you type.

4. Wow...so like, since your so cool and only need 4 strings, your better than like Jean Baudin, John Myung, Les Claypool, John Turner, and those who totally just rip it up on more than 4 strings because more than 4 is just ridiculous and not needed? Ok...well, if you say so man...

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    At least learn how to spell ridiculous. You're entitled to your opinion, but saying that you don't like six string basses is simply repeating a sentiment that is about twenty years old and helps nobody in any way except you for blowing off some steam.

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    "My friend just got one of theese, and i think its gotta be one of th e most rediculous things I have ever seen"

no you gotta be one of th e most rediculous things I've ever seen! :eyebrow: .....well this post.

EDIT: Mods close this now before it goes further.

7. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    What I find more advantageous for having more note options is not being able to play them in more places, but having the different tonal options available. An open high C string sounds a lot different than the 20th fret C on the E string; it's a great addition to vocabulary. I find another advantage to 6 string is it's a lot easier for me to play in as few positions as possible when sight reading quick bebop charts, and six string helps that. Not to mention the chordal/tapping options. But my favorite characteristic is all the tonal options.

8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    teeheee that was a real hoot and a half. Jaco only needed heroine too :)

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I was in a guitar store once and I saw a 6 string coklin, I think thats what it was called. It was a great looking bass. White body and gold hard wear. I tried to play it but I got scared of the price tag and the size of the neck. Put it back down and went to go play an Epip Viola bass.

The moral: 6 string are scary and look "ridiculous" but they have there place in the music world. Along side with 7 string guitars and the electric grand piano.

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

I bet his 6 string looks a lot cooler than your cheap 4 string... :rolleyes:

The funny thing is, you'll find that there have been a lot of comments like yours regarding extended range basses. And the large majority are flamed for it, simply because you should be a bit more open minded. Hell, that's an attitude that's usually reserved for guitarists.

Also, why do you think you will "out bass" him just because you have a 4 string?? In addition to the higher notes he gets on the C string, he also gets 4 more notes on the low B string. He will be able to enjoy the low B string, and you won't. Now who's "out bassing" who? :eyebrow:

:scowl:

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Geez.... you know, I would think that playing a 6-string bass is a lot harder than playing a four-string. Besides, it's probably a bit harder to memorize EADG than it is to memorize EADG and then some. I've always played four- and five-strings, but even I know that you can do more with a six-string than you can with anything else. If you don't like six-strings, that's fine, but don't go bashing ANY instruments, yet alone, this person you call "friend."

I'm so distraut after reading this... I'm going to go play "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" now...

:bassist: ROCK ON SIX-STRING PLAYERS!! :bassist:
    :bassist: ROCK ON ALL BASS PLAYERS!! :bassist:

(except you... you make me sad...)

13. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    :scowl: :eyebrow: :rollno:
    Wrong and wrong. Knowing your fingerboard is something bassists should know. Also, bass is not a competion.

14. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    I'm not really the biggest fan of 6+ strings on a bass. I haven't needed that high C..... and the neck width seriously freaks me out. I think I have a phobia. Not kidding.

But hey. If you can sound good with a 2 string bass, thats good. And if you can sound good with a 10 string bass thats good. Whatever floats your boat.

15. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Oh and that stupid Keytar thing. What the bloody hell is that susposed to be?

16. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    my IQ just dropped 10 points

17. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Keytar = Keyboard + Guitar (or bass) = Keyboardists wanting the attention of guitar and bass players.

Next, there going to have drumitars or something.

18. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Futureman?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.