6 string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 22, 2005.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    No this thread isn't about why people play 6 string basses, or what the extra strings are about.

It's about getting more variety, more expansion on the bassists part of being able to fly over the fret board more easily.

But what are some of your guy's fav 6 stirng basses.

I don't really wanna go over 2000$ cause thats just a crazy amount of $$ for a 16 year old to save for.

But suggestions are welcomed 500-1500$ range I guess.

I played a peavey 6 string, I think it was a fury, it was really cool, and I liked how it was something different.

But I want my 6er to be versitle, like funk, r&b, classical, rock ect.

I want it to be a tone machine too.

I figured sadowsky but as far as I know they don't make 6ers.

7 string basses are welcomed too, I've always thought it would be cool to get one.

2. I'd say Carvin, or a Conklin Groovetools if you are aiming for a 7 string. I love Carvin's instruments, and compared to many many others, they have top notch construction, appearance, and sound for the price. I don't know anything about the GT series by conklin, but I am considering a purchase right now of one of the bill dickens versions of the gt-7.
  3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  4. Ibanez BTB 406, Or the Bartolini equipped BTB 1206e. The Schecter Studio 6 is really nice. Uhhh, thats all I can think of...
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peavey Cirrus. Best 6 under $2000.

If you don't mind used, I have seen them go on Ebay for less than $900.

If you must spend $2000, get a used Zon, Roscoe, Modulus, or Pedulla. Great sixers.

Used gets you the most bang for the buck.

Here is my Cirrus, to fuel your GAS.:D

6. I am a big fan of my Yamaha six string, the string spacing makes it awesome for both fingerstyle and slap.
  7. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I have to agree on the Cirrus, it's the only thing I'd consider at that price point that qualifies as a 'tone machine'.

Worth trying out some Ibanez basses, some of them truly shine and are often overlooked.

Caveat - i can't have yamahas due to very small hands!
  8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
  9. I have small hands, but with an adjustment in left hand technique, I don't find the Yamaha spacing a problem.

I believe the newer TRB1006 has a narrower string spacing.

There are six-string Bongos?
  10. Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    Yamaha due primarily to the amount of tonal variety you can get, I can go from a low muddy growl to a funky Musicman-esque slap tone on my TRB6II, the spacing also makes it a bonus for anyone going from a 4 string to a six string
    Here's some gas:
  11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Yep, and Stingrays...

12. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    ...and 11 string Sterlings...

...okay, maybe not
  13. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I got both of these baby's for 1000 used.

The TRB-JP was 900, and the TRB-6p was 1000
  14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    lol your photohop skills are l337, the 11 string actually looks kind of believable...The bongo and Ray5 look really real....tell me they aren't
  15. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I have an Ibanez SR-506. Mahogony body, Bubinga/Wenge 5 piece neck, Bartolini MK1 Pickups and Bart 3 band EQ. I love it. It can achieve a wide variety of very pleasing tones. I just recently did a couple of recordings with it going directly into the recorder with no preamp other than the onboard one and it sounds great! Just about the best $600 I've ever spent (a bit behind the $500 I spent on a new 'Ray back in 1980 that I still own. Man I love that bass).

Good Luck and Have Fun!! :bassist:
  16. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Man, I'd kill for a 6 string fretless 'Ray. :ninja:
  17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Okay, you got me.

These are going to hit the stores right after the spalted crotch walnut top Bongos.

18. killer bass Jeff, just wondering what the actual model of the bass was. i know you say it is a Cirrus but there seems to be a few different types about.
    also, is the 5 string version just as good - would you rate that as "the best fiver under $xxxx" ?
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just played an ESP 6 that really impressed me. The delaer said it listed for $700+ and he was selling it for $569. It had a 34" scale and a pretty fat neck, but it sounded really great and had a three band eq. The pickups were EMGs like on Deans, I guess and the neck was 5 piece maple and walnut with a rosewood fingerboard. The body was basswood with a walnut top. I was really impressed with the sound. The only downside was fairly close string spaciing.
  20. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Warwick Streamer Stage I's have 20mm spacing as does their wideneck Streamer LX and wideneck Thumb bolt ons. The stage I might be over your $ limit, but not the LX and thumbs.