6 string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ckulasekere, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Hi. I currently own a btb 405qm Ibanez. I really like it and would like to up grade to a 6 string. I have been looking at the btb1000 series and also the yamaha trb. My concern is that I have heard a lot of people knock Ibanez. I don't know why because I really like mine and the 1000s have better pups but then I have also been playing bass for a very short time so i might not know any better. In light of this would the Yamaha be better or is Ibanez good too. Thanks for your time
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    lots of folks knock stuff because they hear other folks knocking stuff.

Ibanez has an odd rap... They have made some inexpensive instruments for decades that have raised the bar on the "entry level" market IMHO... they also made some elite high end stuff equal to most any custom shop. Yet people can only think about the ~$200 "pack" that got mistreated and trashed.

Play both, buy what feels best to you... I'd have no problem playing either one.
  3. Thank you so much for your advice. I was thinking the same thing about Ibanez but it is good to hear it from someone else who, I'm assuming, has been around the bass scene much longer than I have. I haven't had an opportunity to play any of the higher end btb's but my reasoning was that since I really like the btb I have now, it can only get better with the bart pups and added features. Have you or anyone had an opportunity to play any of the higher end btb's?
  4. basstong

Jun 13, 2005
    Paris, France
    I tried both BTB and TRB6 and I finally bought a Yam TRB6-II because I felt the sound was ''warmer''.
    But The TRB was heavier.

I agree that you should try both and choose the one with the sound you like the most and also the one you feel the most comfortable on.
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I'd lean towards the TRB but the btb 1xxx series really ought to be good having seen the specs, I have played a few TRBs and loved them all but go with what your ears tell you :).
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I personally love the Ibanez and will stand up against any bad rap they get. I played Ibanez for years without a single hitch or problem. As a matter of fact I'm looking for a six stringer myself, but am looking at mid level Ibanez Soundgears like the SR406 and SR506 with the Barts.
  7. I'm going to have to agree with TPLyons, that 506 really cooks in my opinion. I slammed around on one at island music in Merrit Island, Florida for about half an hour and was blown away, best bang for the buck.