1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string bassists - my hat's off to you

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kesslari, Mar 3, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Since resuming bass, I've made it a point to use more of the neck on my 5 string. For a long while I'd played a 5'er, but mostly used it for those lower notes (B-Eb). Now I'm working across the neck at various positions, and I really find that working the B string cleanly requires very, very good hand position and technique.
    So you 6 (and more) string players, who are dealing with a wider neck - that must really force the issue, and my hat is off to you folks.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, my Status 6 string was undoubtedly my trickiest bass to play.

3. My Conklin GT7 (7 string) is a dream to play. Its hard to play on the Low B string past the 12th fret as the neck peaks out at a mind-blowing 4" 's.... but thats my only worry. But with that many strings, why would a person need to go past the 12th fret on the Low B.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    same thing here. I hardly ever play above the 12th fret on my Low B. With 4 and a 1/2 octaves, why would I?

It's also impossible (for me) to reach the 24th fret on the low B on my GT7. I can reach it if I go into thumb position.

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    It's easier than it seems; just takes practice like anything else ;)

6. Oddly enough my low B is good to the 15th on my fretless Conklin 6. I should really investigate how far it's still good, maybe 2-3 more positions up there.

Anyway, I don't find 6 to be too impossible. It's just one of those scenarios where you can't cut corners with form. Every configuration of bass has strengths and weaknesses. Focus on the strengths and steer clear of the weaknesses.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

You know what they say about a man with small hands.

8. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Small gloves? :ninja:

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yup.

10. mark-oj

mark-oj

May 26, 2006
    sydney australia
    hopefully i will get my ibanez sr506 6 string in a couple weeks...i stole her from ebay for $330. i cant wait..i just hope that nothing terrible happens..like it doesnt ever show up....has this ever happened to anyone.....and to any sr506 owners....how is the bass...any major cons?

11. Although I have gotten used to playing the 5 strings for my tribute band (by rights they should be 4s but I just couldn't go there)... I much prefer my 6ers. To me the six is the lazy man's bass. It makes moving up and down the neck far less necessary and I really love the high C string for all the work it saves up high. To me it is harder playing fewer strings, but that's just me I suppose...

12. its more of an adjustment then difficulty

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    No one said I have small hands. Just a bigger neck ;)

14. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    you know what they say about guys with big necks..

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Vampires love em.

16. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    They have carpal tunnel syndrome?

17. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    my hands are fine :bassist:

18. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Loose shirts.

19. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    going by your avatar you are playing an older tobias, they have TINY necks with TINY spacing IMHO...

So you are just not used to it.

With proper technique / thumb placement, a 6 or 7 piece neck is not to large for smaller hands even.

20. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Nice bass and nice playing!