1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string Cirrus, DR. Lo Rider or High Beam

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hounddog, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Hounddog

Hounddog Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    I am a DR fan and I recently bought a 6 string Cirrus. I have some questions for you cirrus guys. Is the B string floppy when you use High Beams and tighter when you use the Lo riders ? I have a 4 string Cirrus and love the high beams on it. With that said I was wondering if your B string is tight enough? I have read that some people dislike the DR B strings. It is an ash body with redwood top and a pau ferro fingerboard. Did you have any problems with the B string fitting in the nut? I was thinking about getting a custom set, Medium strings and a 130 B string. Do you think this is necessary ? Thanks in advance.

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Don't know about Lo Riders but I tried Hi Beams on mine with a 125 B string and didn't like it at all. I really liked Hi Beams on my old Lakland 44, but they didn't work with the Cirrus. They were really bright (although I was using them on a Walnut Cirrus) and too low tension for my taste. If you end up going with a set of them I'd suggest you at least go 130 (or higher...if DR even offers that).

3. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    I experienced a similar situation with a different bass. (warwick streamer stage I 6) . I put on a set of HB's 30 to 130, and I found the B to be a bit floppy. then I tried LR's same gauge, and did fix the problem. very well defined B string. There is a reason why warwick uses 135 on their B strings. it is known for its punchiness. I also tried a 135 D'addario and I liked it a lot. I suggest try DR medium gauges 30 to 130.
    all the best!

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I put on a set of High Beams on my MTD (kingston heir 5). First time I played it, I thought my bass sounded very anemic all of a sudden.

I bought a set of Lo Riders for my SX PJ (4) yesterday. Just got it tuned up, but I am MUCH more impressed by the Lo Riders. I will probably ditch the High Beams. Maybe I can find someone who can use them.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I first used Lo-Riders on a Bongo 5er. I had previously found the B string to be a bit loose no matter how I set it up. The Lo-Riders totally fixed it. They have a tight feel to them, plus they have lots of low mids which means you can get a slamming low end without having to play the B very hard. I haven't played Hi-Beams so I can't really compare the two, but I love the tension and tone of the Lo-Riders.