1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6-string comparable to a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barthanatos, Apr 19, 2006.

1. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    So I'm looking to add a fretted six-string to the collection. Unfortunately, not right away, but it's fun to do the research.

I tried a friend's Stingray, and liked it a lot (HH configuration), but they do not, as far as I can tell, make a six-string.

Things I liked about his bass:
    Tone
    Appearance/design (I've always dug on that pickguard shape)
    Quality
    Price

What similar basses are out there that come in a six-string model?

2. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    if you're talking about sound, I do not know if it's possible. I've been searching for a 6 string that has the tone of a 4 string sadowsky, jazz, or musicman bass. I'm starting to think that the extra neck stiffness required for the 6 along with the neck thickness and the extra 2 strings does something negative to the resonance compared to a 4 stringer...

3. How about Carvin?
    -Alex

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal

have you tried NYBW, Lo-End, and Atelier Z for the J sound?

As far as the MM goes, no production model bass that is made in 6 strings will sound like a MM (IME). Plenty of custom luthiers could get ya MUCH closer. For a lower price, check out Chris Stambaugh,and Bud Lecompte. I'm pretty sure they'll both make a bass for ywa with a Nordie or Seymour Duncan MM p'up that will knock your socks off.

5. You might have to settle for the 11 string version
    sterling11a.

:D

6. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I assume there's a separate output for each string on that 11 Str? :)