1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string directions

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by GM60466, Apr 17, 2010.

1. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I was in GC this afternoon and for some reason I walked out after purchasing a used Brice 6 string bass. It is a nothing special bass with active electronics.

....So where do I start?

I've been playing for about 40 years, so I have the 4 string down pretty good. I play a lot of jazz.

I been listening to Dean Peer's new release Airborne. I don't understand all of the effects he is using. He gets great harmonics and a very unusual tonal spectrum.

Any starting points would be helpful

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the low string is tuned to B, the high string is tuned to C. move fingers, make pleasing sounds, have fun.

:D

it's really not much more than that. no big mystery.

3. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Book: 6 String Bassics Pub by Hal Leonard, forgot the author. Lots o good exercises for the new to a 6'er.

4. TimXSweeney

TimXSweeney

Nov 7, 2007
    Boston
    I've own a Brice right now and they are an decent cheap way to get into the 6 world. Especially if you replace the pots and pick ups.

As for getting started, start running those scales and arpeggios in inversions and different fingerings. You now have the luxury of never shifting again! learning heads really helped me to start using the high C and taking your favorite basslines and transposing them to Eb, D, Db, C, and B got me using the low B string. Play "All Blues" in D and you will never look back!

As for reading, piano and cello music (down 2 octaves to use the lowest C) helped me.
    Best of luck and happy shedding!

5. TimXSweeney

TimXSweeney

Nov 7, 2007
    Boston
    Also, you can learn a chord solo or two. after i did that my entire understanding of harmony changed.

6. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    +1.

7. Brace yourself for [DEL]stupid[/DEL] uninformed comments/questions such as *That thing looks like an aircraft carrier!* or *Is that some kind of oversized guitar?* or *That's not a bass- they only have four strings* :cool:

8. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I haven't played 6 string much but what you may run into is the issue where you have the unintentional sound of open strings ringing out underneath the notes that you intend to play because the open strings aren't being muted. So, you may find that you need to pay more attention to the way that you mute the open strings on your 6'er than you do the 4. Congrats on the new bass.

9. This. Have fun with it too. :bassist: