6 string double basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Nick Ara, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I had a chance to catch Mose Allison and his quartet at the Iridium last night. To my surprise, the bassist was Ratso Harris, a player who was featured several years back in Bass Player mag. Ratso does a lot of tapping, sometimes using his chin as a capo, of sorts, to free his left hand to do rhythmic tapping with both hands. While this isn't my personal favorite way to see/hear a bass played, he accomplished what he set out to do.

The surprise to me was his custom made 6 string URB with about four different pickups installed. This was scary, to say the least! It's one thing to see/hear on slab but this caught me by surprise. Does anyone know of other 6 stringers?

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I saw Rob Wasserman also Play a 6-string Steinberger EUB at a Namm Show/Bass Player mag event several years ago..

The old Viola da Gambas were 6 and 7 string in the 15th-17th Century and maybe into the 18th century. This was one of the instruments that preceded the modern Double Bass first built by Da'Salo in the mid-late 16th century.
  3. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Several years ago??? Hell that was 1994. Too bad that bass never made it into production. It was a one off made for Wasserman.

4. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004

But wait, why stop at six for a EUB when you can go 7 :eyebrow: :scowl: :eek:
  5. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Figures Conklin would get into it sooner or later. 7's are his gig.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Man, I could piss off some guitar players with that thing.
  7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Didn't he play a Clevinger 6 for a long time before that?
  8. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I do remember him playing a composite upright sixer at NAMM. I am quite sure that was the Steinberger. It had a ton of mwah but I don't remember much else about the bass. I also think I remember seeing some endorsement ads for Clevinger but am not sure.