Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string double basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Nick Ara, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I had a chance to catch Mose Allison and his quartet at the Iridium last night. To my surprise, the bassist was Ratso Harris, a player who was featured several years back in Bass Player mag. Ratso does a lot of tapping, sometimes using his chin as a capo, of sorts, to free his left hand to do rhythmic tapping with both hands. While this isn't my personal favorite way to see/hear a bass played, he accomplished what he set out to do.

The surprise to me was his custom made 6 string URB with about four different pickups installed. This was scary, to say the least! It's one thing to see/hear on slab but this caught me by surprise. Does anyone know of other 6 stringers?

:meh:

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I saw Rob Wasserman also Play a 6-string Steinberger EUB at a Namm Show/Bass Player mag event several years ago..

The old Viola da Gambas were 6 and 7 string in the 15th-17th Century and maybe into the 18th century. This was one of the instruments that preceded the modern Double Bass first built by Da'Salo in the mid-late 16th century.

3. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Several years ago??? Hell that was 1994. Too bad that bass never made it into production. It was a one off made for Wasserman.

az

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...

But wait, why stop at six for a EUB when you can go 7 :eyebrow: :scowl: :eek:

5. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Figures Conklin would get into it sooner or later. 7's are his gig.

az

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Man, I could piss off some guitar players with that thing.

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Didn't he play a Clevinger 6 for a long time before that?

8. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I do remember him playing a composite upright sixer at NAMM. I am quite sure that was the Steinberger. It had a ton of mwah but I don't remember much else about the bass. I also think I remember seeing some endorsement ads for Clevinger but am not sure.

az