Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string F# through G

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nanook, Nov 18, 2000.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I'm looking for advice from someone who has strung a six string successfully in this manner. The preference would be to do it with high quality flat wound strings. Something new & different for my arsenal.

There seams to be some problems with this set up and even Tyler has suspended production on their 366 model due to incipient problems.

I have received some helpful advice and ideas from my friend John Turner and would like to hear from someone who has done this transplant and had the patient live a healthy life.

Perhaps the longer scaled Peavey Cirrus 6, Dean Edge Q 6 or an older neck through Yamaha 6 would be a good candidate for the surgery. What about a Cort Curbow strung thusly, will it work???

Obviously I have a budget and would like to build a working F# to G six string for about $1000.

Can anyone help me out here?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think the Yamaha neck-thru is the way to go, if you can find one. Maybe the Peavey/Cort, but NOT the Dean. It would be impossible to play, because the neck is so thin! But the Yamaha would be great for it.

I have no idea where youll find flatwound strings that big. I doubt youll be able to. You may have to have roundwound strings (at least for the F#) and just wait until it does, or just grease it up. I may be wrong, though. But ive never SEEN flatwounds that big.

And hey, why do the F# anyway? I thought you didnt like B strings? Just curious.

Anyway, after you find a bass (dont rush the shopping, because the quality of the bass will make or break this project), youll have to just switch out the neck, and adjust the truss rod, which you can get just about any repair guy to do. And you might have to add a subwoofer to your rig, so that you can actually HEAR the F# clearly, but John will be able to tell you more about this than i can.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the only probs i have had with the low F# is that the strings now made (.150") really aren't _quite_ big enough to cut it, tonally. they don't last as long either. mind you, this is me being a bit anal, too, since the strings that i've used work pretty well, with a tone better than most basses regular strings, but still, if i had my druthers, i'd use a string about .160" or so.

4. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I like the B string just fine but have a hard time distuingusing the pitch. Maybe a nice Bag End 1 X 18 cabinet will help with that as I now only run a 4 X 10.

5. Ive had the same idea with the low f# and i know that Bill Conklin makes a few basses that have low f#s. you might want to get in touch with Bill and see what kind of strings and stuff he uses.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bill uses markley's, just like me ;)

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you go the Bag End 18 route (ive got one), id say get one capable of handling the Elf Processor, and youre set.

JT, what about CT? Whatever happened with that, anyway?

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    never heard back from him. i've heard too much about his "reliability" (or lack thereof) as far as meeting deadlines to rely on him as a source for strings.

i call markley, order my strings, and the string fairy drops 10 sets on my doorstep in 2 days. that's service! :D

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, doesnt surprise me. Hes getting pretty old, and i dont think he ever has had much responsibility, as far as time/scheduling is concerned. But man, the strings are supposed to be great. But oh well, less money for him!

10. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    So I won't be able to get .150" flats???

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    probably not.

see if you can get something from thomastik-infeld. they may have something.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ive never even seen a .135 flatwound. I doubt TI will have anything, because they tend to make lighter strings, and i heard their relations with people are just terrible. But you can always try. Maybe try D'addario, or other large brands like that.

But like i said, you could always just get roundwound and let them die, or use a foam string mute to simulate flats, at least until the strings die.

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    At the risk of turning this into a "strings" discussion, I'd like to mention that a dead roundwound loses frequency response in both the upper and extreme lower registers. "Waiting for a string to die" will in my experience result in a honky, midrangy sound without full bottom -- which I suspect would be disastrous in a low F#.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    when my low F# strings die they pretty much follow eli's pattern, that is, the deepest low freqs are really "subdued" to say the least, as well as all the high and high mids that give the note character. it ends up sounding not much better than someone hitting a pillow, but with the slightest hint of a note to it. ;)

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, fine! Geez! Jerks. :eek: :D

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    So what does it sound like when it's fresh? I don't think I've ever heard a sound system that could go low enough to do those pitches justice. On my 5, I rarely go below D and use the B string mostly to play in higher positions than on a 4. Do you really have use for those notes from F# to A#?

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no i just have them so that i can be asked that question a thousand times by incredulous individuals who can't imagine anything being different than the way they see it - in fact that's why all i play are 7 and 8 string basses. :D just kidding.

seriously, the low F# has many uses. for higher notes, the tonality of the string is very round and "dub" sounding, which is another useful tone. also, i've found myself doubling many of my bass lines an octave lower on some of our recordings - thunderous sounding. stacking octaves in a bass line a la wes montgomerry is also a useful tool, i've found, to cut through 2 synth-guitars. and while the notes are not that distinguishable by themselves that low, mixed with the rest of the music, you can definitely hear the difference.

it's all about options, for me. if i use notes below B once every other song, but they contribute to the power and feel, then they are worth having, and worth dealing with, at least for me.

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I guess that's what I was curious about.

On my 5, I gave up on using notes below B as significant pitches because of the difficulty of hearing them as pitches as opposed to a rumbling noise. It took me years to even find a 5 string bass that had enough pitch definition on the B string to be worth playing!

Did you find your ear took some time to hear those pitches as notes?

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    a bit. really what helped was using the 18" sub. even though the rated specs for it would seem to indicate that it is insufficient for the job, the yamaha 18 that i am using does a good job of producing the lowest notes with enough tonality to distinguish them.

when i've played my low f# basses at various namm shows through bag end systems, i've been able to notice the low F# really well, even in the loud, crowded environs of the show. as soon as i can scrape together some dough i want to get the bag end system.