1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 String Fan

Discussion in 'Ask Rufus Philpot' started by currentbuzz, Mar 7, 2006.

1. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    hi rufus! i just heard your audio samples from your site and man you are awesome.. and i also saw your pics and noticed that you are using 6 String Bass and im a huge fan of 6 string users can you give me name of your albums out in the market so that i can buy so i can hear you playin 6.

peace and harmony...

2. rufusbass

rufusbass Skype Bass Lessons Now available.

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    hey there currentbuzz!
    Thanks for the compliments-you know I used to play 6 string..I may be a bit unusual in that I went 4 string to 6, and now I play 5!
    However, hmmm-ok-here's one of the first things I ever did on 6 string.It's a cd by Geoff Castle and his"expanded " jazz project its on Turret records I believe. I also did a fun led Zeppelin Big band Project (which also features Tim Ries, who plays sax for a struggling boy band from England called The Rolling Stones) the project is called "Bill Warfield and the New york Fusion Ensemble" play Led Zep! Its pretty crazy! I used a bolt on Smith BSR on that (its available from warfieldmusic.com Another fun project-but no solos, only groove stuff was with Guitarist Jeff golub and very groovy drummer Buddy Williams (he's played with marcus miller, crusaders,will downing and A LOT with Anthony Jackson) "Timebyrd" -its a bit in the Anita Baker vein...cool r&b groove.....Was actually the first cd I ever did in NYC!
    There is a track on Derek Sherinian's last c.d. "Mythology" featuring me with Simon Phillips,Jerry Goodman, and..Allan Holdsworth (a young guitarist from England like me!)-you can hear a clip of that on my website homepage.
    STOP PRESS news though -I do use my Smith a bit on the new (soon to be released) Planet X cd-which will be out soon-but most of it is recorded with my Ibanez basses now. Either the Roadgears or my new custom soundgear/RP models....
    You can also hear me on Derek's new solo c.d. which should be out soon-but that again will be on the 5....Guess I am leaving the high "C"s behind!
    Oh yes! I just remembered-there is a solo on an old joe Deninzon c.d-me and Alex Skolnick of testament fame on that..no idea what label-its been a while-!

3. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    ill check those mentioned records. hope i can hear more of you playin 6 if you do so please drop by this thread and inform me if you have any new record out using 6 string.. im just new at my gear and really devoted myself on playin the instrument ive been listening to as much as many 6 stringers i know... john patitucci, jimmy haslip, anthony jackson, alain caron, john myung, oteil burbridge, tetsuo sakurai, todd johnson and the list goes on...

peace and harmony