Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6-String Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jun 7, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Are there any 6-String Fenders around? I have seen the odd 5-string, but never a 6. If you have some pics, post them and say what they are like.:D

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    true bass fender 6s? i doubt it unless if it's a custom job. The Fender Bass VI thing is the closest i can think of but i heard it's closer to a baritone guitar/pic.bass than it is a true bass. I think it was tuned EADGBE like a regular guitar with a trem. on it. I could be wrong though, i'm a little etchy on my BassVI knowledge. thats all

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Other than the Heartfields (IIRC) and the Bass VI...

nope. My guess is that there really isn't a big demand for a 6 string Fender. Atelier Z makes a nice Jazz 6 and it didn't exactly jump off the shelf.

No market = no bass.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I agree Brad, theres not much of big demand for 6 strings, but most other companies manufacture them. Youd think Fender would at least give it a shot and try and find a market for them.

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I understand but why build something only a few want when you can build something that more people want. Sixes in general don't sell.

Look at the market for high end sixes. You can hardly give them away without a huge discount. I'd be willing to bet the most popular high end basses are fives. That to me is the hardest bass to get right. After that a six is easy.

If you were Fender, would you build one? I know I wouldn't... until I saw a drastic rise in their popularity, no way.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    In all honesty, if I were fender Id build a few and test the market with them. I wouldnt make many of them high end ones either. Id make most them middle of the road ones, like the mim deluxe active jazz is. Maybe make a couple along the lines of the MIA DLX. This way if they dont sell im not out near as much money as if I mass produced 1000 of them. Of course before I did that, Id do a huge demographic survey to find out what areas they would sell best in, income ranges, etc. ;)

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

8. Dearmond was a Fender-owned brand- the Dearmond Pilot Deluxe 6string was "testing the water" in a way.
    judging from the last few being sold off for £349 at macari's in london it failed commercially. I'm tempted to buy one, though.....