1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string Fretless $500-$1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by perfektspace6, Nov 22, 2006.

1. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I would like to pick up a fretless 6 but am restricted to the aforementioned price range. I would prefer (not required) an ebony board but don't like Carvin.A used Cirrus is not quite what I want. A Yamaha TRB1006 would be perfect but they don't do a fretless. I want to stay away from ultra cheap (under $500) 6's.

Anything else I should be looking at?

2. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I think you have too many constraints here and can't meet them all. I happen to really like carvin stuff, and that would be my choice in the range, especially with an ebony board. Honestly, I don't know that I can think of another fretless 6 under a grand.

3. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Maybe Ibanez SR506 or some other SR (like 886, 1006 1206 whatever, although these would probably be used) + a defret?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Aria Steve Bailey Fretless 6. I thought I saw one for sale recently.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Good luck. There's not much out there in a 6 string fretless between the cheap Rondo stuff (and equivalent Johnson, etc. brands) and high end in a 6 string fretless. As much as I usually don't like fretted conversions, I'd be tempted to recommend that avenue for you. I'm in the same boat. There was a nice Modulus 6 string on Ebay for "buy it now" of something like $1100 a few weeks ago.

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

7. Bass Northwest had one a while ago in their website. I don't know if it is still there

8. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
  9. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
  10. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Are those Schecters any good?

11. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    That's what I was afraid of. I think it will come down to waiting for the right deal to pop up on TB or Ebay and maybe going a bit over my budget. I hadn't thought of the Steve Bailey as some suggested.

12. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I looked at Schecter's but I don't think they do a Fretless 6. Too bad Yamaha doesn't offer a fretless TRB1006.

13. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    My first two thoughts:

a used Warwick Corvette 6 Fretless - these sound great and usually go for about $1000 on Ebay. I dont love uncoated ebony FBs - but most people dont mind. Great bass, a little heavy.

Tune TWB 6 - these come fretted but are only $700 - I played one at the store and it sounded and felt great. This is definitely on my list of things to buy. With the $300 you are saving you can get it professionally unfretted, filled and epoxied - that would be my choice.

14. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Perhaps convert something like an Ibanez SR506? I have a buddy who shipped his SR500 to Harris Thor in New York for an epoxy fretless conversion, and he loves it. Sounds great too, but there's a hell of a wait list for that kind of work. All together, should cost about $900 plus shipping.

15. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    from experience, Ibanez 1206e prestige defretted. its a killer bass with frets.