1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 string fretless guys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ao'connor17, Aug 26, 2007.

1. ao'connor17

ao'connor17

Feb 12, 2007
    Tivoli, NY
    i just want to see what budget 6 strings people get.
    also, im settled on the birce 6 string defiant and i know the markers are in between the "frets," is there a rule against using pencil marking for where the notes are. when i started upright, when we got off the tape, we put pencil marks cause u can't see them from far away, but you can see them, and light reflects of it nicely so its really easy to see.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Brice V2 unlined fretless. The dots are not between the notes they are in the correct place on the note locations. The bass is very good. I have it set up right now with almost impossibly low action, you have to play it to believe it, best setup I've ever done. Sounds terriffic and has adequate build quality, hardware, and pickups. Good bass. I'd buy it again.

3. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    On a properly made fretless IMO the dots or lines if lined are at the position of the correct pitch ie: note on the fingerboard and do not frame the pitch as with a fretted instrument. If the brice is dotted no need to pencile in position markers unless you want to mark the half steps.

If you do upright shouldn't be any problem. good luck.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sorry my post is unclear. On my Brice the dots are in the correct place, at the note locations. I know older versions of the V2 as well as some other unlined Brice basses have the dots at the wrong place, the same place as they would be on a fretted. I do not know where they would be on the Defiant, as I wrote my particular model came both ways depending on which production run you got.

Personally I would tell Rondo that it is an absolute requirement that the dot locations be at the right place, on the note locations, before buying, and if they were in the wrong place, I'd ask for a refund. They should have at least one reasonably priced model with the right dots, but they may have some with it wrong as well.

I bought my V2 as a store display model in the old Union NJ Rodo Brick and Mortar store so I was able to play it and see that the dots were in the right place when I bought it. I had read that they were in the wrong places so it was a very happy coincedence that I tried the bass and what do you know, the dots lined up at the note locations. I love my Brice V2, I rewired it to be VOL/VOL/TONE and it sings with great tone and plays like a dream - the setup is unbelievable.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    personally, lined fretless basses especially a lined 6 string frettless confuse the heck out of me...

I prefer UNLINED frettless basses...

as far as the SIDE DOT positions... the LINED frettless basses usually have the SIDE DOTS BETWEEN the lines, as opposed to the UNLINED frettless basses that have the SIDE DOTS where the FRETT would go...

There are some lined frettless basses that have the side dots where the line goes, I beleive the Alembic frettless and tobias are like that... not sure...

I have a 4 string frettless jaco relic from fender custom shop, and the dots are between the fretts, I basicly just dont pay attention to them, can play that bass more by feel...

but the 6 string frettles... dots are rite where the fretts go which is perfect...

(my 6 String Frettless is a Ken Smith BSR Elite 6 G)