1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 String Fretless Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bachlover, Jun 8, 2014.

1. I'm ironing out the details on a 6 string fretless build. I wanted the playability/feel of my Warwick 6 NT fretted w/o the weight issues so I'm thinking of going with an alder body (instead of bubinga) but staying with the 7 piece bubinga/wenge neck. In a 2 a.m. revelation this morning, I realized that if I take away the weight of the body while leaving the same neck on a 12 point something pound bass, this is going to cause some serious dive issues. A couple of questions - what other lighter woods should I consider for the neck, and, is there any reason to go multi piece on a neck rather than aesthetics? The multi piece Wick looks cool, but it really feels solid and plays well as well. Any thoughts as to what woods would stack well in a multi neck, give the needed stability for a 6, and provide lighter weight, or should I just go with one or 3 piece of. say. maple. for instance. Any input appreciated. Thanks!

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Use a body style with an upper horn that reaches at least the 12th fret, maybe the 10th- 11th fret, if the body is really light.
    I have 2 6-string all maple basses that are 10.5# and they balance fine (upper horns to the 11th fret). Also, 2 alder body 5-strings with maple necks that balance fine (horns to the 12th fret).
    Also, keeping the bridge as close as possible to the end of the body helps.

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    there is no reason that you can't successfully build a 6-string neck using carefully selected flatsawn hard Maple and a single trussrod. a multi-laminate neck gives you the ability to use lumber that is narrower, and to rotate flatsawn pieces 90 deg so they work as quartersawn. you can also mix up the woods for aesthetics and mechanical properties, keeping in mind that you want to match wood and grain symmetry as closely as possible.