Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string fretless neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassinflux, Sep 29, 2004.

1. bassinflux

bassinflux

Sep 14, 2004
    alright, assuming i could hypothetically actually do this I have a couple questions

what kind of ebony do I want, and what are the other choices?
    where do i get a big enough slab of wood for a 6 string 34 scale bass?
    what radius do i sand the neck to? (how thick would i need it to be to not thin out on the edges) does ebony take sanding very well?

what do you guys think?

2. 5thString

5thString

May 5, 2004
    Well, black ebony is the best choice, although macassar ebony gives excellent results. Any stabilized wood will also do the job.

Check out Gallery Harwoods (http://www.galleryhardwoods.com)for any of these.

Regarding the radius, I'm using a compound radius, using a 1mm elevation at both ends of the fingerboard, with constant 4mm thick edges.

Ebony sands very well, although being amongst the hardest woods it takes a fair amount of time to get to the result you want.

3. bassinflux

bassinflux

Sep 14, 2004
    What is the width of a 6 string at the neck and at 24?

isnt there a program for this?

4. 5thString

5thString

May 5, 2004
    Well, I usually consider the nut width on one end, and the string spacing at bridge. For a 6 stringer I like a 54mm wide neck at nut, and a wide 19mm string spacing at bridge - which would theorically stand for a (5 * 19 + 2 * 5) = 105mm "neck" at bridge, providing the fact that you want a 5mm margin from the center of the each external string to the edge of the board. Most players might want a narrower string spacing at bridge such as 18 down to 16mm though.