6 String Fretless Options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StanTurpentine, Jul 15, 2017.

1. StanTurpentine

StanTurpentine

Dec 14, 2011
    Hey y'all

I've been trying to find a 6 string fretless bass. I'm looking for something under $2500 Canadian monopoly money. I feeling like I'm kinda striking out here.

So far I've only been able to find only about 3-4 that fits the bill.
    MTD Kingston KZ-6 Fretless - but I can't seem to find a dealer in Canada that brings them in
    Carvin Vader/Vanquish/Aries - This probably is my best bet, but you know CDN to USD is kinda back to what it was supposed to be before the oil-boom
    Schecter Stiletto 6-FL - Stores I've looked at doesn't seem to carry the FL model
    Ibanez SRF706 - Again, stores I've looked at doesn't seem to carry the 6 string, only the 5.
    Rondo - I mean, I've heard great things about them, but for how much it'll cost me to bring one into Canada it would cost about the same as buying a good one.

ESP - Doesn't seem to have a 6 string fretless that gets distributed to Canada
    Fender - I'd love to get my hands on a Steve Baily VI, but I don't think they make them anymore. And aren't they 3k+?
    Musicman - I've tried a Bongo 6 before, really didn't like the neck. Besides they're over budget.
    What other brands should I look into?

EDIT: I understand I could get pretty much anything under my budget if I got it used. Right now I'm only looking at new instruments because they're easy to source; I don't have to wait on the Craigslist or whatnot for one to pop up.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    TolerancEJ likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    RMI Hummingbird?

gebass6 and StanTurpentine like this.
  4. StanTurpentine

StanTurpentine

Dec 14, 2011
    Awwwww sweet! I've never heard of these two companies before!

I'm now craving for a RMI Hummingbird...

5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I played one a year ago. Can't recall the model - it was a Hummingbird but there's nothing like it in the current catalogue - it had twin Delano mags and a piezo bridge - I think it was a custom build. Absolutely astounding. I'd never played a 6 before but it felt as natural as breathing...

StanTurpentine likes this.
  6. StanTurpentine

StanTurpentine

Dec 14, 2011
    Yea! I'm seriously looking into it! I just clicked the first youtube link, and i was like wow!

gebass6 likes this.
  7. gregmari

gregmari

Nov 27, 2013
    Oregon
    I picked up a Carvin LB76 for $575 US on local craigslist. Graduation gift for my son. He has been wanting a 6 string fretless for a long time. I just set it up with some nickel rounds today. It's active/passive with piezo bridge saddles.

IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0582.JPG

8. StanTurpentine

StanTurpentine

Dec 14, 2011
    How do Carvin's feel? Are they more similar to J-bass necks?

I've been looking at my local classifieds, they're really hit and miss. There're like 3 MTD fretless' right now and they're definitely not within my budget. The closest one that fits the bill is in Portland. Now if I was living in Vancouver, WA and not Vancouver, BC it'd be a simple drive over.

9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Warwick ... EBMM with the Bongo 6 ... Carvin/Keisel, I guess Ibanez must have one ... ESP/LTD must have one too. Spector should have one in their most expensive line. I'm sure Schecter have one too.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  10. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    That is a gret looking bass! BTW they have another beautiful 6 string Tune bass (fretted) for just $999 (CAD)!

6wht_1__71449.1393458828.1280.1280.jpg

I like white basses and that white/ebony fretless fb combo is gorgeous! Congrats!

12. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Maybe consider getting a fretted 6-string and convert it yourself? I recently gave up the search for a fretless 6-string and got an amazing Ibanez SR1206, which I may still just defret myself still.

13. I played a used fretless Roscoe 6 in that price range at a guitar center. Warwick makes the rockbass corvette basic 6 in a fretless with an ebony board. They are around $900 new although if you have $2500 to spend you have a ton of options. Used most really nice fretless 6 strings are going to fall under $2500 because there's just not a huge market for them. You could probably find a Warwick thumb bo or even a neck through fretless 6. I played a fretless thumb 6 about a decade ago it was amazing. My fretted thumb NT6 was significantly under your price range and there's a bigger market for fretted ones which drives the prices high up on the used fretted ones. You could also build one or have one built.like build a Warmoth Gecko 6 or hit up Kiesel/carvin and get something brand new and easily stay under budget. If you don't go crazy with options you might be able to get a Custom made Clement bass also. Steve Bailey has had multiple signature fretless 6 strings with companies like Warwick and Fender as well.

StanTurpentine likes this.
  14. Wishbass! He charges $100 per string so your fretless 6er would be $600 American. Or watch Ebay because he lists them there.

15. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    Maruszczyk! Well inside the budget and you can choose all your options...

StanTurpentine and SteveCS like this.
  16. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Florida, USA
    Trying to save some more for an FBass BNF6 would be the best way to go, you'll never look back with a beast of a bass like this.

I did the unthinkable, so this would be my recommendation: got me a Warwick Thumb BO used bass for 1500 and defretted it for another 400, so it would be under budget; it really sounds awesome with or without frets.

17. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I have a Kiesel B25 fretless and love it. So, cost wise, that's the brand I'd choose. Knowing what I know now, id probably shop for a used FBass that hit my price range. I would under no circumstances buy the Ibanez. Far too many stories and personal experience of quality control issues and lack of customer service.

wpt1982 and StanTurpentine like this.
  18. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I'll disagree my new Ibanez SRF706 is incredible and no QC issues. Sorry to hear you've heard about and experienced otherwise.

equill, Trouztrouz and StanTurpentine like this.
  19. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Zon.

zon6c-f and BassJuju like this.
  20. Sithian

Sithian Operator! Give me the number for 9-1-1! Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021