1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 String Fretless under 1500$?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Achey, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Achey

Achey

May 6, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    Hey, I was just wondering if any of you guys know of anywhere close to Ireland (i.e. in europe) where I can get a 6 string fretless for under about 1500 USD?

I was thinking of getting a regular sixer and defretting it myself, but I really want to get an unlined bass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan.

2. If you don't manage to find one... defret and get the lines filled with a complementary wood. It'll get you pretty close, particular with dark woods.

3. Achey

Achey

May 6, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    Yeah, I am going to do that if nobody responds within the next week, or if I cant find one. Afterall, knowing how to play fretless is much more important than the looks of the fretboard etc..........I will probably buy a cheapish 6 string (Peavey) and then defret it.

4. Jehos

Jehos

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    One thing to keep in mind--you'll need to re-setup your bass after defretting. You'll need to lower both the bridge and the nut by the height of your frets. I defretted an old Squier bass I had lying around once and wasn't at all happy with the results. Although I admit it may have been that the bass was terrible to start with.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Usually you can get the bridge adjusted sufficiently to compensate through typical methods, but you will need to have a new nut cut by a luthier to really get things right and comfortable. This tend to cost around $40-50 for 5 string, so I imagine a 6 would'nt be too much more. I don't know what the market is like in ireland though.

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i don't know if Carvin ships to Europe, but the make great basses that are in your price range.

7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    A bit more (basses start at 1600 euro), but a great builder that's more local to you is Chris Larkin: http://www.chrislarkinguitars.com/

Otherwise, I'd say wait for a used one here on TB or on Ebay...lots of people are willing to ship to Ireland.

Marshall

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Did you try Warwicks?
    You may find Corvettes around that range in Europe;
    however, "try before you buy" as the saying goes.