Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 String Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doug J. Needles, Jun 9, 2005.

1. I really really want to get one, but am lacking there of in the money department, so I can't really get a custom made one.. I was thinking, should I just get a cheapy, and then defret it myself? I am aware this could completely ruin a bass if done incorrectly, but I just need some advice on what would be the best thing to do. Thanks in advance
    -Will

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Rondo is your friend!

http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitar6.html

They have a fretless and a not fretless. They're pretty inexpensive, but supposedly you need to set them up to get them to play SUPER good (not hard to do.)

3. Yesss thank you, THERE IS A GOD!

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Dude, I say that all the time!

You're the man.

5. Seriously though, thanks, I was not expecting actually to get a reply, well, to get one that was similar to the effect of.. "Well, you are s.o.l. budd.." but woohoo! Thanks a lot, you've made my day

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Petary's right... Brice makes some pretty good stuff for cheap. I've only played one, but it was worth easily twice of what the owner paid for it. People seem to like them, so if you like what you see, I say go for it!

7. I have one quick question though.. What do you recommend for strings? I know like flatwouds would be best cause they don't tear up the neck and they give it that "mwah" sound. I normally use D'Addario, but I don't think they make flats for Six's.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm not real sure, but check on the internet. I know you can find some online however.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    A Dean Edge Q6 would do ya nicely!

One with a quilted top and amber stain...mm, unlined, 24 frets, and you can even drop in some Barts straight from the shop!

Nice! :cool:

10. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi doug
    a quality inexpensive bass deserves quality strings... So I recomend to you that you look into The Dudepit
    > Thomastik-Infeld Strings.
    Just drop dudepit into a search engine and you will be on your way!

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Late again...

Yeah, i also wanted to say that T-I makes flatwound 6-sets, and I've heard they are very good (I've only tried their rounds so far)

12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Doug, I've got a Brice six string fretless and I love it more every time I play it. I have anti-GAS as a matter of fact. Very highly recommended, but yes, you will need to do a complete set-up on the bass, either yourself or have a pro do it.
    I am very happy with Carvin flats on my Brice, and they're the cheapest six string flatwound set I've ever seen.