Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris J, Aug 8, 2003.

1. I'm starting to think that a fretless would really hit the spot. And while I'm at it 6 strings would be nice. Two birds with one stone sort of thing. But here's my dilemna. I don't want to spend more than $1000 Canadian. Any suggestions? My concern is that any 6 string (especially fretless) that sells for that cheap is compromising quality somewhere(preamp/pups). Used is also an option so if you guys know of something that might fall into that price range let me know.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you can get a fretless 6 string (with or without lines) cort curbow directly from greg curbow (which comes with a complete setup by greg and the usa bartolini electronics upgrade) in that price range. i can guarantee that quality is something that greg is very concerned with, and junk doesn't come out of his shop. you should also check out some used basses.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
  4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, another thought would be maybe checking out a fretless conklin groove tools 7 string...

5. You have me drooling!!! One thing I have to clarify...is that under $1000 Canadian? Because, $900 American ends up being roughly...$1350 Canadian without taxes and all that other great stuff.

Edit: Any info on his return policy? Just in case...

6. How good is that Cort 6? They look very affordable and have lots of good features with that outstanding bartolini setup.

7. It just came to me, the Groove Tools don't come in 6 string format. Also, I just tried checking out the Cort site...am I the only one with problems? www.cort.com right?

8. I had the same problem. It's working now.

9. Actually, go through the harmony central link that they use for the cort reviews.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    to get the cort from greg, try going to: greg's site (curbow.com)

11. Good info on their site. But with the exchange rate the price is climbing steadily. I think I'm up to $1140 Canadian($760 American) before taxes. Anyone know what the taxes will be like? Any kind of fee that needs paying to bring it into Canada?

12. the_faceless666

the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Canada
    I think you may also check the Carvin basses. You may found a used one for something like 500 bucks and below.
    Also, the Dean Edge 6 string fretless seems sweet. You should check this one out to. It retails to something like 700$ Can, so it would be in your price range.
    I am in the exact same dilemma as you, I live in Quebec, and I don't have much more than 1000$...
    Good to see I'm not alone.

13. Good suggestions again. If you do get something you should post about it in here. I'd like to hear about someone else's experience.