1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6-string jazz bass, 19mm string spacing: Pickup recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drdog, Jan 30, 2017.

1. drdog

drdog

Apr 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a BassMods K635 (6 string Jazz bass) that has the wide 19mm string spacing.
    I presently have the Reed James Neo pickups in them, but want to replace them.
    The sound of my bass as of now is OK, but not to my liking as much as a true Fender jazz bass sound (and please don't tell me to just buy a Fender...I can't because they don't make 6 string versions)....
    My bass body is ash (chambered for lighter weight), neck is maple fretboard.

I prefer passive and not have to rely on active electronics to achieve the tone...

The sound I am after is more like what is in the beginning of the video clip I have enclosed with this memo. I am looking for that nasally low-midrange growl.

Any recommendations on which pickups to look into? Any specific mfg and models would be greatly appreciated.

2. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
  3. Nordstrand is probably your best bet for a 6-string Jazz pickup with that wide spacing. Bartolini may have one that would work, too.

4. drdog

drdog

Apr 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
  5. drdog

drdog

Apr 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thank you