1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string Jazz bass pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Nov 28, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Hi all, I am looking for a 6 string Jazz pickup and I'm not having much luck. Bartolini used to make the X6's which could be used in a traditional Jazz and I believe that Aero makes a 6 string model as well. I'm not sure that Bartolini makes the X6 anymore and I think that the Aero's will be pretty expensive...:(

I am looking for a pickup that is either a traditional J shape or very thin like the X6's, Benevente's, etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    best on the market IMO come from Delano... they do a traditional Jazz 6

http://delano.de/english/index-eng.html

here is the write up for the 4 string version... the 6 string page doesn't have any info.

3. Thump3r

Thump3r

Mar 17, 2006
    I'd vote for the delano's as well, really nice sounding pickups.

I have a clover aperion 5, with the hybrid. i hated the sound of the bass at first, but found the preamp was bad, at the moment I'm running it completely passive whilst I try to decide what preamp to run with it, and the pickups sound amazing passive.

4. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Thanks guys, I will do some research. I appreciate the info!

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    They seem really nice...splitcoil, so it should be wired in series?

6. mana

mana

Dec 2, 2006
    I agree with James. The Delano pu range is amazing!
    last week I checked several basses which had Delano pickups and I have to say, that it makes a big difference to other pus.There was also a 6string Clover Apeiron (JB type) which sounded awesome. (Unfortunately my playing is too basic for a 6string) So I decided to buy an Apeiron H.5 with the hybrid pickup system (http://www.cloverbasses.com/index.php?id=9&bass=19). A fantastic bass. Very well build.

7. mana

mana

Dec 2, 2006
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  9. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Those Clover basses are very nice... mana, can you describe the neck profile (front to back) to me please? Are they chunky or flat?

10. Thump3r

Thump3r

Mar 17, 2006
    The neck on the aperion is very nice, very flat across the face (20 inch radius, 0 fret) easy to get the action low and fast. The fret work is great.

The back of the neck is a D shape, it's not chunky at all. It's a really good neck profile.

My bass overall is a pretty good bass, the fit and finish were all good except for the preamp. Which was a real pity because I got it directly from Clover, and when I emailed them to tell about the problem, they sent me back a pretty condescending reply in regards to how the hybrid works in the stingray active verses the jazz passive mode (which is why I bought it in the first place,duh), they didn't try to qualify if the problem was actually an issue with the bass, pretty poor marks on customer service.

Which as I said, is a real pity, because I was impressed enough that I was going to get one of the 6 string basses, but decided not to.

Delano, on the other hand were great, I emailled for more info later on, and they contacted me back within 24 hours, even prviding me with a schematic for running both sides of the aperion active if I wanted to, Delano are really great to deal with.

11. mana

mana

Dec 2, 2006
    Oh yes it is. I checked through 20 different JBs, but this one was defintely the winner. Not to be forgotten, that this one is much more than „only“ a JB through ist JayRay-concept.
    For me the 5string neck feels perfect. It has about 45mm (1.77 ¨) at the nut, which feels like a natural extension to a 4 string neck. The profile is a (flatened) D with a slim (5mm high), rounded fingerboard. Don´t know the exact radius. My fingers are not that long, but I can play it comfortable.

@ Thump3r:
    I had mail-contact with them after buying my bass, and I have to say that these guys answered all my questions prompt and friendly. As far as I know (also from other forums), they have a very good reputation and service.

12. mana

mana

Dec 2, 2006
    By the way: You should give them a secound chance. I played the 6string apeiron - Killer!!!

13. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Thanks for the Clover info guys...