1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6-string Mahogany Project Bass (needs work)--Make Offer

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by winston, Apr 30, 2006.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I am selling a 6 string that needs some work. I bought it last year from a guy who called himself a luthier. After I took the bass home I found out that various claims he made about it (he said the neck is a Warmoth, but it's not;:crying: ) were untrue. In 20 years of playing this was the only time I've really gotten burned buying an instrument. I liked the way it felt and sounded in the store but the intonation was weird. When I got home I found out why...

Here's some pix http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/winston8r/my_photos

Long story short (the issues):
    :meh: this is a 35" scale neck (I've been told it's from a Brice) but the bridge on the bass is located at the 34" point. There's enough room to move the bridge back an inch. While you're at it you will probably want to
    :ninja: route the bridge down a little deeper into the body. I had to shim the neck to get the bridge saddle heights/action OK. Once you've done this why not
    :mad: replace (or at least rewire) the pots and switch and a proper battery holder. Dude did a shoddy wiring job to match the rough-hewn chisel job in the cavity. (There is an ill-fitting cavity cover not shown in the pix) You might wanna
    :help: shim or replace the nut becuz one or two strings buzz down there

HEY! QUIT LAUGHING AT ME!!! WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES!!

:bawl: Somehow the guy managed to use only Phillips with mostly stripped heads (strap/neck-joint screws are serviceable, needs new pickup/control cover/truss cover screws)
    :scowl: "Warwick-style" angled tuners--not so bad BUT he didn't bother to fill in the original screwholes. One tuner is missing a black spacer washer between the key and shaft
    :eyebrow: there are scratches and various marks all over the bass and the pickup routing is not the cleanest. Speaking of pickups
    :eek: their screwholes are a bit dog-eared and I can't verify that they are Mighty Mites the guy said they were. They only run when a battery is connected so they must have an internal active preamp.

ON THE PLUS SIDE,:)
    This bass is lightweight, looks cool, and has a solid dual-truss maple neck/rosewood board. Frets are in good condition, neck stayed straight when strung up. Comfortable--balances well on a strap, ~2-1/16" at nut, ~17mm bridge spacing. Tuners work fine, very solid and adjustable bridge. Between the mahogany and the pickup location, this thing is a midrange monster. Both the look and the sound of the bass remind me of Les Claypool's Carl Thompson basses :bag: though the guy who made this bass is clearly a hack.

I feel that someone with building/repair skills could turn this into something fun and useful once you got the scale/bridge/electronics straightened out. I had thought about doing it myself but I just don't have the tools or time. I have $400 into this thing :confused: :mad: :crying: :bawl: :spit: :scowl: :rollno: For $200 more I could have gotten an Ibanez SR506...

Make me an offer including shipping. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN ANY TRADES so please don't ask.

2. 110..+shipping.

3. winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    PasdaBeer--please check your PM.

4. yamdigame

yamdigame

Apr 22, 2006
    New Jersey
    Still for sale or is this gone?

5. winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    PMing back and forth with PasdaBeer, I will let you know if the deal falls through.