Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string MM style pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by N*Joy, Feb 15, 2005.

1. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I've been looking around the makers sites all day but can't find much - particularly triple coil designs. I'm just flirting with the idea of putting together a 6er with a big fat exposed pole humbucker or triple coil monster in the musicman style. Anyone ever come across one of these or is it a (pricey) custom jobby?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Apparently Carey Nordstrand is willing to do custom stuff these days and his new website (www.nordstrandpickups.com) is up and running so go take a look.

3. +1

The delanos are real great and the 6string MM they make is a quad coil design, so you can also use only one side and it will still be humbucking

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I checked out one of Carvin's MM 5 string pickups, and it sounded terrible. Looked like it was a simple two-pickup in one case deal. Regardless, it was totally unimpressive to me. FWIW . . .

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    http://bassculture.de/ built MM-style splittable humbuckers in wood covers for my 7-string Listerud bass. Great stuff! Big fat sound in parallell mode, honky clear sound in serial mode.

6. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    You've all been very helpful - thanks for the links, I'll have to save this thread!

7. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I have Carvin BK4A with MM carvin pickup in the brigde.

It sounds terrible !! don't use it !!