Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 String Neck Profile

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Razor, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Guys and Galls please give some opinions on 6 string bass necks.
    I am primarily a 4 string player and I began to dabble in a 5...I chose a cheaper Dean Edge for a couple of reasons.
    1. Cheaper instrument so that if I didn't get the hang I wouldn't be out much cash.
    2. The neck is very narrow (fret end to fret end or nut width)
    I like the slim necks a lot better because my hand seems to wrap around them easier and truth be told I prefer a Jazz neck over a P neck for this reason.
    I would like to try a 6 string to see if I can get the hang of it and would like opinions on mdrange, budget wise, 6 string basses to try that have thinner width necks. Thanks for any help/advice you can give me on these instruments.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hohner B Bass VI.. Excellent bass for the dough..

[​IMG]

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    [​IMG]

4. Ducksual

Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    UK
    That's my bass! He's right, tis an excellent bass for the price (and that active/passive switch is a life saver :p)

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    FWIW, I prefer the necks on 4 string Jazz. I currently have a 6 string bass. I have found it easier to use the neck when I keep the neck rotated more vertical than normal. It keeps my left hand in a more natural (less wrist bend) position. I actually tighten my strap all the way and put it over my right shoulder to play. Easier to keep in place like that.

For good deals on 6 string basses, Peavey has a couple of them. I got a great deal (from a TB member) on an Alvarez 6. It is taking me a while to adjust to the neck width, but it is a great (passive) bass.

6. Razor,
    I have an Ibanez SR406 for sale. Private email me if you're interested. It has an extremely fast,slim, easy to play neck and is in mint condition. The string spacing is close which makes it VERY easy to play even with my short fingers. (It is a bit challenging to pop and slap for this reason but it's definitely possible. This particular instrument has a great sound and the low B is great @ 34" scale.

I'd like to sell it for the same amount that most Guitar Centers sell 'em for used. I'd be willing to do a 48 hr. trial after a C.O.D. Let me know if you're interested.
    Jim:bassist: