6 string opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vinoman, May 23, 2002.

1. vinoman

May 22, 2002
    I'm looking to move up to a sixer, but unfortuantly there isn't a decent music store where I live, so I need all the help and info possible. I'm really interested in the TRB6ll, but any and all opinions our very welcomed on other basses in that price range or less. My main concern is string spacing. I have a bbg4s and the spacing is perfect and I'm looking for a 6 with simular spacing. Also, during my research, I found a cort curbow 6 for under $400. Yes or no.
  2. vinoman,
    I don't know which 4 string you're referring to but:
    Ibanez SR 406s have narrow/close string spacing (17mm) and a very fast slim neck. They're about $600 list but you can get 'em for about $450. They are 34: scale. Their BTB at 35", gets good reviews in forums.

The Deans are 35" scale but also have fast necks and close string spacing. They're about the same price.

In case you didn't know, for comparison, Fenders have 20mm spacing on their fours. I don't know why Fender doesn't make a 6. I think they're missing out on a small but dedicated market.

Pedullas have inbetween spacing, 18" and make fine basses. Their MVP especially. You're looking at about $3 grand though.

Peavey has a cheaper six but I don't care for it's quality of workmanship. Same price range. Their higher priced model gets rave reviews in forums.

Good luck. 6's are great!
  3. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Go with the Ibanez 406. It's a great deal for the price. The pick ups are great.
  4. Oops, almost forgot,
    The TRB 6 has a baseball bat-ish large neck. If you haven't actually gotten your hands on one, check it out.
    I love Patitucci's playing so I was interested, but that neck didn't do it for me at all.

Have you tried a Warwick thunb or Corvette? Also large necks but in your price range, used....
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Strange, the pickups on my 506 are crap.

vinoman, the TRB6-II has pretty wide spacing. If you like wide spacing, that is probably the way to go, unless you have over $2K to spend.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He's looking for wide string spacing, and the standard neck on the Thumb and Corvette are not very wide.
  7. I played a btb406 and loved it. 17 mm string spacing. the neck was very flat. 22 mm at it's thickest i think. it felt really good. i played a corvette as well and hated it. the fingerboard was so flat it felt concave. i couldn't move around at all and the middle strings seemed inaccessible. this is just my opinion, but you seem to want as many as possible........
  8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I just took a warwick Corvette 6 in (not ussually a fan) but this one really amazed me, and for the price they sell used. Someone will get a great bass when they get this one.

The action is super low, and very responsive. Of course its loaded with the bassline's which warwick upgrades there 6's and neck-through's (5&6) to bartolini, etc.

Good luck with your search on a wide spacing 6. The yamaha's are the only wide neck's I can think of off the top of my head. But you can probably find a used mid level bass with a wide neck for around $1000 + or -
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    This bass wouldn't happen to be for sale, would it, Brian?:rolleyes:
  10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Why yes it would be forsale, but I know where your going with this and if you noticed I gave an opinion only and didn't go into detail about selling it and price, etc.

I merely said what I thought about the instrument since the warwick 6 corvette had been brought up in a previous posting.

I do not post forsale stuff anywhere on talkbass since you jumped all over me. Even though my posting was in the forsale classified section, you said people who sold instruments to make money on a regular bases where not wanted. So I don't post.

Although I think its funny you are always selling gear on ebay or in the classified area and its ok for you.

Didn't mean to start anything and sorry to those interested in helping this guy with his 6 string, but I get tired of being attacked everytime I post!
  11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000

This is more of a private message conversation, but since you want it out in the open, here goes.

It just strikes me as funny that you only seem to have an opinion on basses that you're selling. There are plenty of other - if less profitable- threads which would benefit from you knowledge.

Fair enough, but what is "Somebody will get a great bass when they get this one" in aid of, Hmm?

I don't think reminding you of the posting guidelines is "Jumping all over you". I also mentioned that the Classifieds are for private parties, not for Businesses. You are welcome to advertise your merchandise. All you have to do is contact Paul.
    Yes, I do sell gear occasionally, but:

1) I am a private party. The instruments I buy are for personal use - period.

2) I post ads in the Classifieds offering direct sales.

3) When I choose not ot advertise an item in TalkBass and set up an auction(which is my right; it is everybody's right), I do not advertise the auction in TalkBass.

4) The amount of buying and selling I do is negligible compared to the amount that you do.

You mentioned in an e-mail that there are other people advertising basses for profit on TalkBass. I asked you to point them out to me. I am still waiting.
  12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

BigWheel Sorry for my misunderstanding the classified rules.

Please let me know what the profit margin is so I know where I fall in line at. Its funny, you call me a dealer, yet George (Fbass) Says I'm not enough of a dealer to carry his basses. Hmmmm
  13. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Apology accepted.

I don't "call" you a dealer, Brian. What do you call a person who buys and sells gear, has an inventory, has "New Basses For Sale" and a "Used Basses For Sale" pages on his website and asks George Furlanetto if he can carry his basses?:D

(Sorry you don't meet his requirements, by the way)

If it barks like a dog...
  14. Yes. I just got one of these and its great. I dont know what the string spacing is on thebbg4 so you'll have to try it but $400 is a deal. I got mine for $525 on ebay. The 6er is the only cort curbow with barts in it too, the others have cheaper pickups and electronics.
  15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I do claim to be a dealer, but I find it funny that selling basses for person (small quantity) Income is so different from selling for (larger quantity) income.

Buying and selling to make money is buying an selling to make money, period!

F basses are nice and I was very interested in working with George, but thats the way things go. His loss another builders gain. I am a dedicated dealer for sure!
  16. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    From the Forum Rules (I'm not implying you don't know this, I just thought it would be nifty to reiterate it)

Hey, I like profit. I have no beef with profit at all. God bless profit. It's just that if TalkBass is going to help you make a buck, it's only fair that TalkBass should make a buck too.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I owned a Yamaha TRB6II. I'd have to disagree with the baseball bat comparison, it's actually a very wide and flat neck. Wide spacing like a four, excellent playability. Nice B, very nice string to string balance. Overall very light and articulate sounding.

My only beef with the bass was the electronics. Yamaha changed over from the original TRB6 type pickups and electronics and IMO that was a mistake. The sound can be fixed at the amp but I like my amp to stay flat and my basses to sound great without amp tweaking, which is time-consuming if you have multiple basses.

If this is your only instrument or you enjoy tweaking, fire away. Playability was very similar to a wide spaced Ken Smith, not bad company at all.
  18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    im sorry to jump in here- but i am probably one of fthe dealers that Bian referred to- i have absolutely no problem with Brian- but i was in the same predicament a while back -Big Wheel , you may remember. I was under the impression that the rules had relaxed some since SWR became a sponsor of TB and i was also ready to pay to advertise in TB , but with SWR, i dont think that option exicst anymore, i may be wrong-
    i contacted john turner about it and he basically said it wsas cool to let people know you are a dealer and thatt it would be fine to mention if you had a bass for sale as long as it was pertinent to the thread- i agree and dont advertise my stock instruments in the for sale section- i respect that- but all the dealers that are members ( Dude, Gard, myself) seemed relieved that there would no longer be such a tight grip on what we said- pleas eenlighten me on this.. i dont by any means want to start a flaming war- just that i believe in equality for all. Either we can ALL talk about being dealers, or we ALL can't- im fine either way. Whats the bottom line on that? with all due respect. and sorry to butt in the 6 string thread-
  19. apostle

Apr 10, 2002
    The Curbow is a nice sounding bass, but the lower horn is very small, when playing seated and this makes for a difficult play without a strap attached. The maple neck is very heavy so standing and playing the bass makes for an arcing over towards the head stock which can be uncomfortable as far as weight distribution is concerned.

Yamahas older brother to the TRBII the TRB6P neck through is the best 6 string they have produced IMO and they can be found for a descent price if you search out in the cyber world.

The Peizo Bridge is a nice feature and it clearly is a power house of a bass in sound compared to the newer versions. She has rather wide neck so if your hands are small this might present a slight problem, but if you play slap/pop styles you will appreciate the string spacing. I thoroughly enjoy mine in every sense of the word!!

If a narrower spacing is your desire the John Myung signature bass is nice and can be had for around $600 used and she doesn't sound as good as the neck through, but she has a slimmer neck and strings are spaced closer together if this is what you desire...pop/slap is not impossible on this bass, but you must have more control over your thumbs/finger to accomplish your goal.

20. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    are you sure BTBs have 17mm string spacing at the bridge for 6's?? Warwick 5s have 16.5mm.. modulus 5s have 17mm..

plus.. standard 4 string have 19mm string spacing.. warwick ssi5 has 20mm