Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6-string or 7-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cliff Bordwell, Oct 23, 2004.

1. 6-string B-C

36 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. 7-string B-F

21 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. 7-string F#-C

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. If it doesn't have 11 or more strings I'm not interested!

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    For all the multi string players out there, which of the three listed would you have as your main instrument?

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Thinking of building a 7 Cliff?

3. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I've done 5 seven strings in the past, two of them where for the same guy. 7-string has always been my stopping point
    for some reason, maybe I'm getting to old and stubburn.
    I just have a wide Pink Ivory fingerboard that is going to go on a NAMM bass and I wanted to see what peoples thoughts where on the subject. The fingerboard could go 6 or 7???? :eyebrow:

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    7 strings tuned b-e-a-d-g-b-e and f#-b-e-a-d-g-c have been my main instruments for 11 years and counting :D

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    11 years? Damn, I thought it was more recent than that. You're even more prog than I thought!

I'd go with a seven, tuned B-F. That seems to be generally most popular tuning. Plus, it's NAMM, so you don't have to worry about tossing it on a sixer 'cause a seven might not generate enough interest/sell.

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Less than 8 strings?? I ain't interested...

:D ;)

But if it were an 8 I'd say F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F

7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I voted 6 String B-C. I would like to try a 6 String E - F though. Does anyone have any experience with a 6 string tuned E-F ?? :)

8. my vote would be 7 strings B - F

:bassist:

Matthew

9. 7 string B - F

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

11. :bawl: still one more week till i get my GT-7

waiting sucks :crying:

12. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    My gtbd-7 will be here Monday morning. :) I'd go for 7 B-F.

13. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    An 11 string multiscale fretless is what I want!!! :D

14. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I have 2 7 strings and i couldnt ask for any more stings. Maybe an 11 a couple years down the road, but im only 19 so i can save up for 10 years

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I voted for a 6, but that was more or less me speaking for myself. I see 6 as more than enough for me. Most of the magic happens for me on the EADG, I can dip into some of the lower tunings with my low B (I don't really like going below that, nor do I need to) and slide into tenor territory with my high C (and it helps with some fingerings too). I do a lot of transposing from treble to bass clef and the 6 offers enough range for me with extra safety nets and ceiling height so I don't crash into a 'limit.'

Also, 6-string string sets have got to be easier to get than 7-string sets. And 6-string sets are tough enough to get as is, unless you order online. Most music stores only carry 4 and 5 string sets.

However, if the music you play is such that the range of a 7 string will give you more than enough 'headroom' and 'legroom' then go for it.