1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 String Piccolo Bass String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 4stringreligion, May 19, 2011.

1. Hello!!! Please a little help....I would like to fit my Mayones six string into a piccolo tuned with high F so the tuning will be
    f-c-g-d-a-E ....any suggestion where I can find a string set? Or, alternatively, where I can find single strings? Do you know if exist some guitar string set with a lenght that can fit with a bass? This would be the best solution.....Thanks!!

2. KratosNL

KratosNL

Mar 16, 2010
    Octave 4 plus can make you strings to your specifications, might be expensive though.

3. Thank you so much, I will start to contact them....:)

4. Circle K Strings - 8 String Sets - all Tensions and Scales

Get a balanced standard (provided you are using a 34-35" bass) 092 and throw away the two thickest strings

I'm awaiting delivery for that exact set for 8 string tuning in the same range you are talking about (but with a B and F# below)

5. SubsonicSkull

SubsonicSkull

May 17, 2011
    I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I was just about to create one to ask about a setup for a 6 string piccolo myself, so I figured I would post here. I hope you don't mind. :bag: I just ordered this short scale 6 string Brice: Brice HXB-406 Nat Bubinga Short Scale at RondoMusic.com and I need some advice too :)

I wanna go e-a-d-g-c-f and I was thinking about using these D'Addario heavy gauge electric guitar strings: DAddarioFretted Strings » Electric Strings » XL Nickel Round Wound » EXL148 Extra Heavy 12-60 Do you guys think it will work? Or would the tension be uncomfortable if I use a .060 for the low e? The other alternative was to get the D'Addario piccolo set and singles in .016 and .012

What do you guys think? And will the gauges above allow for some serious down tuning?

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Welcome to Newtone Strings should be able to help at fair prices.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Will_White likes this.
  8. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Yes I do this a lot, In the past I have found D'Aquisto plain steel long enough and currently use Rotosound plain steel. I suggest a .018p or .016p for F, a .025 roundwound bass string for C. I thread an old bass ball-end onto a guitar string.

9. Ummm, even an .096 would tune maybe a step higher than standard E. We're talking in guitar range aren't we? Otherwise (strictly speaking) it is just a 6 string tuned with a high F (not a piccolo).

10. SubsonicSkull

SubsonicSkull

May 17, 2011
    I have been doing some reading and I have some strings that I am gonna try when my 30" scale six string arrives on Monday. I will post my results here once I have tried it out. Since I am using a short scale bass, I have managed to source wound strings from .056 to .018 so I dont have to use plain strings at all, but I still have some plains from .024 to .012 as backup.

One way or another I should be able to get this bass strung properly as a piccolo. I also bought a .065 bass string just in case so I should hopefully be able to set up for beadgc at the very least if going eadgcf doesn't work out right. My only real concern is nut height.

I think heavy or extra heavy guitar strings will work if you cut the ball end off some old bass strings and thread the guitar strings through. I guess it should be possible to use super long or long scale guitar strings on normal scale length basses using the ball end trick, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I will post here once I set up the Brice short scale six if anyone is interested in the results.

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    I went solely off of the OP's post. I, too, would consider it more of a "tenor" tuning.

12. Thanks Alexander!
    So according to your info, the gauge would be 049 .035 .025 .018p .012p .009p right? But in this way, could I tune the 009 in f?

13. I agree....but if we consider that, normally, a piccolo tuning makes our instruments with a sound of a tenor guitar, I think that all could fit....

14. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Are you wanting to tune an octave up, like a guitar?

15. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    They have sets where the top string is .80 for 6 string as well.

6 String Set - Balanced Long 080

Price: $38.00
    .080 .058 .043 .031 .022p .016p

16. *
    This is in a PM from Skip at Circle K

"Yes, a .092 will be a whole step above standard E, and 3 through 8 will be guitar pitches. A standard electric bass is indeed only one octave lower than standard guitar tuning."

So the 009 will tune to E, I can't see why it couldn't make it that extra half step to F. Email Circle K and check, but I'm 99% sure that's right

17. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Why would you want an .080 for an E-string? OP says he wants it tuned E-F. That's super light and only about 25 lbs of tension at most.

If he wants to tune it up an octave so that it would be a guitar tuned E-F, he should buy the strings individually and not throw away 2 strings from an 8-string set (it's half the price to do it this way). If he wants to tune like a Bass tuned E-F, I have already posted a few options for him.

18. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    It will tune to F just fine. In fact, it will still have less tension tuned to F than the .092 string does when tuned to E.

19. Does it mean that the tension is soft? I am looking for this due I am tired to play with strings which seems gates bars!:meh:

20. dafonky

dafonky

Dec 12, 2010
    Europe
    Hi

I found this thread which is now 5 years old.....
    I have a 30" short scale semi hollow bass, which I want to sound like a guitar.....
    I was trying the extra heavy EXL D'Addario gauge too.....012-016-20-34-46-60
    But I used only 46-34-20-016 for EADG string and tuned it an octave higher like a guitar, it works fine.
    Ok then I tried sth else:
    I wanted to tune it ADGC , using 012-016-20-34 because I miss the upper register.....
    But the c string 012 broke :-(
    I am looking for another semi hollow 5 string bass, max. 30" which is closer to a guitar scale.....so I could tune it EADGC ......but which other string gauge than 012 can I use to tune the 5 th string on C without breaking and avoiding high tension.
    Perhaps using the same size of strings 012-34 and tuning the bass down to B E A D perhaps ?
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015