Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 String pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lizardhands, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Lizardhands

Lizardhands

Jan 26, 2004
    Hi,

Im currently finishing off a 6 string fretless project bass and have reached the point of pickup choice. I have the oppotunity to get a set of EMG - HZ 5 string pickups very cheap. The techsheet says that they are suitable for 5 string/narrow 6 string with string width of 3.125".

My bridge messures 3.125" with a string width from B saddle to C of 2 7/8".

Would these pups work with decent response?

Cheers

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Depends. What's your priority, pickup cost or sound?

If it's sound, then you'd need to describe what sound you're after.

I have Barts on 5 of my fretlesses and I wouldn't change them for anything. Every nuance seems to come through. I slap and play fingerstyle on most of them, both with excellent results. I did own a fretless 4 with HZ's and they weren't bad but they were definitely in a different camp as far as sound.

My second favorite would be Lane Poors but they've super hard to find.

My fretlesses below: Lane Poor on the far right, the rest are Bart soaps, J or MM pickups.

www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=823839

3. Same thread, and I may start a new thread, would EMG HZ- 5 string sets work for my Tobias Toby Pro 6 string? You mentioned that the EMG-HZ 5 string sets could work with narrow six string spacings, and when i measured the pickup's length was 4"s, a TAD more. EMG-HZ for six string set has 4.5" for the length. Won't work.