1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 string players do you ever alternate with a 4 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 9, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

This one is for the 6 string players , do you guys ever rotate and switch off between 6 string and 4 strings basses?. Thanks

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    All the time...and 5's and 7's, too! ;)

3. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    I play 4-string in my band, but I practice and noodle with a 6-string.
    Practicing on the 6'er seems to make playing on the 4'er alot easier. The four gives my fingers more room to breath.

I anchor my thumb on the 6'er, but float on 4.

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Constantly .....

I play 4, 5, 6 & 7 regularly, although the majority of the time I use a 6 or 7. The 5 gets the least amount of playing time.

5. Yeah, I never really liked the 5. Just have a 4's and 6's (and now a 7). Just thought I'd jump from 4 to 6 ! You're not alone !! Cheers...

6. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I rotate between a pair of fours, rarely a five, and yes the six. The two 4's are the same scale but all else is different. Seemless transitions. You play a bass for long enough, you get to know it very well.

7. I also play 4, 5 and 6 string basses and alternate very regularly. Somehow it's really fresh to alternate, just like wearing of pair of army boots on day 1 and sneakers on day 2.

8. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I alternate to my 8 on occassion, but I don't own any 4s.

9. Yep!4 totha 5 totha 6,Its good for ya!:D :bassist:

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yep. Adds more fun to the mix for me...and since all of my basses are at different tunings, it gives me a reason to pick up my other basses.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Yep. I 95% of the time I take a 4 & 6 string. I like to play old tunes that were created on a 4 string on a 4. The groove is a little better.

12. howard9

howard9

Jan 30, 2006
    I dont have 6 but a custom 9 string and a nice jazzbass, I use them 50/50, depends on my mood, and the situation. Only a 4 string can sound like a 4 string.

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Y'know?, I ALMOST bought a 4 yesterday!!! But I declined because they dony make the Sinsonido by Aria in a 5 or 6, I kinda feel naked on fours and as long as I have EADG on my 6's I'm cool.

14. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I mostly use my 6 but I try to sneak my G&L L2000 in when I get a chance. I found my self going over the set lists when I get to gig and seeing which songs I could use the 4 on. It is a nice change of pace and if I got to have a back up bass on stage why not my old G&L.

15. JLTwarwick

JLTwarwick

Feb 9, 2006
    I have an early 80's Yamaha BB2000 that I've had since it was new and put active electronics in it back in the 90's. But at the turn of the century I bought a Warwick Corvette 6 string. I'll never get rid of the Yamaha, but I've tried to find a place for it and can't see any. I've got an AB switch, dual stands but there's nothing any 4 can do that a 6 can't but plenty a 6 can that a 4 can't. So long story short, I gave up. Once you go 6, you'll never go back!

16. Yes, all of the time.. I dont do the 5 string thing though.

17. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I pretty much stick with the 6 string since I bought it. I still mess around with my 4 and 5 string, but I get bored pretty quick.

18. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I play the 4 banger for my band situation... When i'm at home or just playing alone i use my 5. E,A,D,G,C. I love my six to do chordal stuff and background's with effect's. It's refreshing to have the option's.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have a 4 string bass for picking and slapping, a 5 string fretless for... being fretless, and a 6 string fretted as my workhorse (pretty much everything, but just a little bit picking.)

20. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    I own a 4, 5 fretless, and a 6, and I play the 4 and 6 back and forth all the time, the 5 doens't get played much and when it does, I don't use the B string