6 string players do you ever alternate with a 4 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 9, 2006.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

This one is for the 6 string players , do you guys ever rotate and switch off between 6 string and 4 strings basses?. Thanks
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    All the time...and 5's and 7's, too! ;)
  3. ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    I play 4-string in my band, but I practice and noodle with a 6-string.
    Practicing on the 6'er seems to make playing on the 4'er alot easier. The four gives my fingers more room to breath.

I anchor my thumb on the 6'er, but float on 4.
  4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Constantly .....

I play 4, 5, 6 & 7 regularly, although the majority of the time I use a 6 or 7. The 5 gets the least amount of playing time.
  5. Yeah, I never really liked the 5. Just have a 4's and 6's (and now a 7). Just thought I'd jump from 4 to 6 ! You're not alone !! Cheers...
  6. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I rotate between a pair of fours, rarely a five, and yes the six. The two 4's are the same scale but all else is different. Seemless transitions. You play a bass for long enough, you get to know it very well.
  7. I also play 4, 5 and 6 string basses and alternate very regularly. Somehow it's really fresh to alternate, just like wearing of pair of army boots on day 1 and sneakers on day 2.
  8. I alternate to my 8 on occassion, but I don't own any 4s.
  9. Yep!4 totha 5 totha 6,Its good for ya!:D :bassist:
  10. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yep. Adds more fun to the mix for me...and since all of my basses are at different tunings, it gives me a reason to pick up my other basses.
  11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Yep. I 95% of the time I take a 4 & 6 string. I like to play old tunes that were created on a 4 string on a 4. The groove is a little better.
  12. howard9

Jan 30, 2006
    I dont have 6 but a custom 9 string and a nice jazzbass, I use them 50/50, depends on my mood, and the situation. Only a 4 string can sound like a 4 string.
  13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Y'know?, I ALMOST bought a 4 yesterday!!! But I declined because they dony make the Sinsonido by Aria in a 5 or 6, I kinda feel naked on fours and as long as I have EADG on my 6's I'm cool.
  14. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I mostly use my 6 but I try to sneak my G&L L2000 in when I get a chance. I found my self going over the set lists when I get to gig and seeing which songs I could use the 4 on. It is a nice change of pace and if I got to have a back up bass on stage why not my old G&L.
  15. JLTwarwick

Feb 9, 2006
    I have an early 80's Yamaha BB2000 that I've had since it was new and put active electronics in it back in the 90's. But at the turn of the century I bought a Warwick Corvette 6 string. I'll never get rid of the Yamaha, but I've tried to find a place for it and can't see any. I've got an AB switch, dual stands but there's nothing any 4 can do that a 6 can't but plenty a 6 can that a 4 can't. So long story short, I gave up. Once you go 6, you'll never go back!
  16. Yes, all of the time.. I dont do the 5 string thing though.
  17. need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    I pretty much stick with the 6 string since I bought it. I still mess around with my 4 and 5 string, but I get bored pretty quick.
  18. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    I play the 4 banger for my band situation... When i'm at home or just playing alone i use my 5. E,A,D,G,C. I love my six to do chordal stuff and background's with effect's. It's refreshing to have the option's.
  19. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have a 4 string bass for picking and slapping, a 5 string fretless for... being fretless, and a 6 string fretted as my workhorse (pretty much everything, but just a little bit picking.)
  20. sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    I own a 4, 5 fretless, and a 6, and I play the 4 and 6 back and forth all the time, the 5 doens't get played much and when it does, I don't use the B string