1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 String Players Post your preferences.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hello to all.
    Im in the search of the perfect 6 String Set for me.
    Im mostly a Nickel Plated Steel Roundwound player.
    And until now I have been using Ernie Ball Slinkys.
    But I feel I need to look on better strings and with gauges that match what Im looking for.

Personally Im looking for a 30 - 40 -60 -85 -105 - 130 Set wich is not available as far as I have looked.

What are your Brand /Gauge string preferences for 6 String bass and also 7 String.
    Tone descriptions and longevity.

Thanks.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Daddario Slowounds. They only come in a 32-130 set, which is 32-45-65-80-100-130, but they're killer strings, even if they aren't your desired gauge.

They aren't really as bright straight out of the package as most strings, but they hold the new-string tone for a couple months, depending on conditions. So after about a week or two, they'll be brighter and newer sounding than most other strings. As they age, they begin to sound somewhat dark (not to be confused with muddy, which they absolutely are not!), which I really like.

Even for nickels they last a long time. I've had a set of these on for as long as 6 months (and because of the pH of my sweat, I generally can kill strings, steel or nickel, in about 3 weeks or less), and they still sounded great. Great strings for someone who wants to save some cash.

I'd suggest em.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I was considering those, and the XL165-6 wich are closer to what I want.
    I guess I will order a Box of the Slowounds (Have to order by Box to take advantage of my dealer prices)

How do those compare to the Ernie Ball Slinky 6 String Set?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I like Dean Markley SR 2000's.

5. I'm with Angus. Slowounds have a sweetness of tone which is not present in other strings.

6. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I was in the shop today, and I I bought some slowounds for my Q6... They were too short! Do slowounds come in an extra long set?

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
  8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Thanks man.